Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting left and right handed >

Shooting left and right handed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting left and right handed

Old 06-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting left and right handed

I have been shooting for a long time. I have a pse typhoon and a martin x200 recurve. Both of these bow are right handed bows. I love my bows and i am good with my right hand. But in the past day i traded a old browning stalker recurve for an older left handed mathews compition bow. The bow id in great shape and i can shot it just as good as right handed. I was wondering if u all thought it would be ok to do this? Do u all think that it would mess with my right handed shooting?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Shooting left and right handed

Choose one or the other. Dominant eye right? That may decide for you. Personally I am left eye dominant and have always shot right handed bows. I am not a switch shooter.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont really have a dominant eye. I shot them both dead middle everytime. But it is fun trying to shot them both.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

killzone, i am left eye dominant and shoot a gun left handed.When i started shooting archery years ago I used a right handed bow and still do to this day. I have no troubles using either.

You will have to program yourself to close your dominant eye when you need to shoot with your non dominant. Remember, this will be more difficult under high pressure situations i.e buck fever. Buut it can be done.

I would say go for it. You can never be too versatile. It may come in handy someday. Just remember to practice, practive, practice...

If i ever run across a cheap lefty compund I will do the same thing
Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

I dont really have a dominant eye. I shot them both dead middle everytime. But it is fun trying to shot them both.
With all due respect you do have a dominant eye.

Do you shoot both ways by closing the opposing eye?Shoot right do you close your lefteye andand when shooting left do you close your right?

Everyone has a dominant eye. Find yours. www.nidek.com/dominant.html

There are advantages to shooting with your dominant eye. Like both eyes open, low light conditions, and just better accuracy. Yes, You can shoot both ways but it is with one eye.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Growing up through grade school and such, if you were left-handed you weren't "normal". So, my teachers and everyone else tried to teach me to do everything right-handed. So, right is what I started off with, but after getting old enough to tell the difference myself I went to lefty. I am left eye dominant and can not shut my left eye while keeping my right eye open. So, that took care of which way I was going to shoot a gun/bow.

I kick, shoot, and bat lefty. The only thing I do with my right hand is write.

I am glad to see that some companies seen the demand for lefty guns/bows and this and that and strated producing them. You can find most anything in a lefty now....didn't use to be this way.[:@]
Old 06-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea i have right handed stuff on my lefty bow. I need to get lefty stuff on it. But no im not one eye dominante, Ihave been to an eye doctor and he told me im not.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Come on now people give me something not just one our 2 people.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert, but I don't believe that I'd switch back and forth. Personally, I'd be worried that it might have a negative impact on my form when I went back to right handed for hunting.
If I'm wrong and that's not a concern, then there is one postive that I can see coming from it. Your muscles will build evenly on both sides.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can shoot one bow from either side, wear a release on both hands and shoot from the side that the oppourtunity presents. Len-in-Md is a master at this and tried to get me to do it because of oppisit eye dominence but I couldn't master shooting from the other side. It sounds like you have so I say shoot from both sides with both eyes open.

Quick Reply: Shooting left and right handed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.