Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Spine

Old 06-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Arrow Spine

I really do not know this.

Will a properly spined arrowhave any bend at allupon release or should it stay straight?

Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Spine

ORIGINAL: markj

Will a properly spined arrowhave any bend at allupon release or should it stay straight?

By the traditional term of "properly" spined, then yes it will still bend. Most arrows will still bend. I would love to see footage of the .150 spine 30X pros w/ 100 grain glue ins I shot for 3D last year though, those things are so stiff I wonder if they do actually visibly bend.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Can an arrow be "over=spined"....and if the answer is yes....what are the adverse affects?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Can an arrow be "over=spined"....and if the answer is yes....what are the adverse affects?
Depends on the use. For distances out to 60-70 yards with no broadheads I have had arrows that are spined on the charts for 150+lbs shoot like darts. Last year I wonthe NY ASAstate championship shooting goldtips 30x pros with 100 grain glue ins, and they have a deflection of .150, for reference a goltip 75/95 is rated at .340..........so the 30x pro is more than 2x as stiff. I cut them 1/4" in front of the blade and shot as well as any other arrow I have ever shot, I never shot them past 60 yards or so though. Right now I am using a Pro 22 with a 80 grain glue in out of a 63lb slayer, that is a .300 spine deflection shaft (again way too stiff according to charts) and I will show a pic tonight of one of my 40 yard groups from last night with the bow. They too fly like darts.

I begin to worry about spine when I have broadheads on the arrows, or when I am shooting at extreme long distances (field/fita).

*** Edit - In the old days when everyone was shooting aluminum I feel overspine was a bigger concern. Carbon seems to react differently than aluminum at the shot as best as I can tell and it seems to recover faster (purely speculation). Poor arrow flight was a common trait of overspined arrows with aluminums, but I just haven't seen it with carbon.It seem to be more critical of where you cut the arrow off than the spine, I cut mine so the end of the shaft is directly above the pivot point of thegrip and they seem to fly great.

I haven't messed around with overspined arrows using broadheads at all because I just don't want to open that can of worms.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

The reason I ask, RJ....is I wanna shoot a/c/c's (3-71's) out of my set-up for hunting with 125gr muzzy's.

With that weight field tip on them, last night, they shot great. I might stick a BH or two on them tonight and see.....but I was wondering what you thought, up-front.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I ask, RJ....is I wanna shoot a/c/c's (3-71's) out of my set-up for hunting with 125gr muzzy's.

With that weight field tip on them, last night, they shot great. I might stick a BH or two on them tonight and see.....but I was wondering what you thought, up-front.
If you were smart you would buy the Gold Tip CAA .300's (identical), and then you could use the goldtip module weights in the back of the inserts along with your 125 grain heads to get the exact spine you want. Stack weight in the back of that insert in 10 grain modules until they spine perfect according to OnTarget2 since with only the insert and head they are a slightly stiff shaft. That would give you the extra weight you want as well. That is why I like the goldtips so much, I would not shoot for them if I didn't think they had a superior product and their components on their arrows are light years ahead of anything out there unless you are spending $300+ a dozen on easton X10's.

You would save roughly $30 per dozen using the goldtips too. [8D]
Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Well....no I wouldn't....I've already boguht 6 of the a/c/c's!

Is it gonna work out like I want it to? If you had to guess? I really just wanted a heavy arrow with enough spine I didn't have to worry about it. I'm not shootin tournaments with them.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: markj

Yes. Because it MUST......It's initially a stationary object with ALOT of force being applied to directly to the tail end.....It has no choice but to flex some......Commonly called "archers paradox." A release shooter's arrow flexes up/down, a finger shooters flexes left/right. Why are they different? Well, to tell you the truth, I just don't know....
Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well....no I wouldn't....I've already boguht 6 of the a/c/c's!

Is it gonna work out like I want it to? If you had to guess? I really just wanted a heavy arrow with enough spine I didn't have to worry about it. I'm not shootin tournaments with them.
You will be fine I am sure. If you really wanted to get nerdy technical about it you could probably use the goldtip components in your ACC's and achieve the same thing anyhow.

With that said I'm gonna have to update that thread on the CAA's..........got them to a "final" tune tonight and shot them at some long distance and I gotta say they really are as great as I was hoping for them to be.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting overspined isn't a bad thing at all. Being underspined is a bigger problem. If you have OT2 switch between the target choices and the hunting choices and you will see that hte same arrows that are stiff for target may be considered weak or just right for hunting.

Quick Reply: Arrow Spine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.