Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed) >

What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Aside from a couple of huge fixed blade heads not a single one impacted the same spot as field tips and all broadheads seemed to hit low and left 1-2 inchesregardless of what style head they are.

This indicates to me that just a little bit of fine tuning could have been done to bring most all of the broadheads to impact the same place as the field tips.

Then they shoot a 125 grain tip against all the other 100 grain heads which would have weakened the spine of the arrow as compared to the arrows with the 100 grain heads. If you are going to introduce variables like thatwhat good it the test?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 AM

Inside 40 yds, on the average whitetail shot with aproperly tuned bow, not a lot of advantages to a mechanical. Fixed for me.

When you get down to it how straight does a shaft need to be? How perfect does fletching need to be? Our equipment is much more accurate and consistent than we are.

But Broadhead flight. That can be something out of our control as mentioned earlierwith windetc. I guess I will stick with fixed blades. If I get to where I can shoot a broadhead at an animal at 50-60 yds. I may consider mechanicals after shooting both.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Aside from a couple of huge fixed blade heads not a single one impacted the same spot as field tips and all broadheads seemed to hit low and left 1-2 inchesregardless of what style head they are.

This indicates to me that just a little bit of fine tuning could have been done to bring most all of the broadheads to impact the same place as the field tips.

Then they shoot a 125 grain tip against all the other 100 grain heads which would have weakened the spine of the arrow as compared to the arrows with the 100 grain heads. If you are going to introduce variables like thatwhat good it the test?
I agree that shooting 125 grain heads with the 100 grain heads out of a bow tuned for a 100 grain head tipped arrow and on an arrow that is spined for a 100 grain head makes no sense. I kind of threw that test out of the equation.

However, with the 100 grain heads they were shooting it from a bow that put the arrow in the same hole over and over at 35 yards. You can't get any better tuned than that. I know there is tuning to the broadhead, which is a very effective tool, but this test was to look at how broadheads flew beyond 20 yards from a perfectly tuned bow. Some were very close, some were not. None were dead on.

What I took from this was that there is planing in all broadheads so it is important to practice at further distances to know how you should adjust and that a well tuned bow is essential for using hunting broadheads no matter what design they are.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I have cleaned my share of deer and I can not think of any angle that would result in the broad head being stuck to the INSIDE of a shoulder
that wouldn't have killed the animal stone dead.

I also find it curious if the 200" deer got away - how do they know the broad head malfunctioned?

I might me old school, BUT, pappy told us,

"If you double lung him- You Win."

There are basically only two things that kill a deer.
a.Massive trauma to the brain
b Lack of oxygen to the brain

Let me elaborate on (b).

If a deer gets hit by a Semi @ 70 Mph what kills him is not the 23 broken bones, is not a ruptured spleen, is not 2 punctured and collapsed lungs,
is not the fact that the aorta was torn completely from his heart, what actually killed him was the lack of oxygen getting to his brain.

If you double lung him, he will drop in right @ 12 seconds. He is really still alive just passed out from lack of oxygen to the brain (same as if you strangled him); @ about 20 seconds the brain and the deer actually expire from lack of oxygen to the brain.

Watch your favorite hunting videos. When the shot is made start counting, one one thousand, two one thousand ------ bout the time you get to 12 one thousand you will see the hunter’s hi-fiving or hollering "he is down" and he is for keeps.

If you seem him drop, keep watching and counting, you might see him twitch or cough, but, by the time you get to 20 one thousand it is over.

If you are using a fixed blade broad head or a mech that only one of 3 blades opened does not matter, clip both lungs andin 12 seconds or so he is toast.

When you look at a broadside deer you can see the lump on his shoulder.
Behind that lump there is a crease in his hide that allows the shoulder to move freely. The top of that crease is the sweet spot. If you can hit the top of that crease from any angle, with any broad head he is yours - every time.

I learned this from a veterinarian who traveled with Easton arrows on the show circuit. That was 20 years ago and probably 75 deer ago. I have never lost a deer with any weapon if he was hit within two inches of the top of that crease.

Shot placement is the most important part of this whole deal. With almost any modern broad head with sharp blades, fired from a bow with enough power to drive the head thru both sides of the deer he is simply toast if hit thru both lungs.

I didn't mean to leave out the heart shot, but it is the same principal, when the arrow pierces 2 chambers of the heart, the heart can no longer pump oxygenated blood to the brain, 12 seconds or so without oxygen to the brain and the end is near.

Just my 2c, I sort of chuckle about the debate about which broad head is best - "Heifer Dust"The real debate and answer IS which shot placement is best.

Pappy never lied to me.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only real advantage that I can think of is that you can get them in a large cutting diameter.
Safety. Especially when the cutting blades are folded in the ferrule. Could be important to some.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I think......out of a well-tuned bow....I wouldn't kick a hog in the ass for the difference.

We all know that all bows aren't well-tuned.....all shots aren't perfect broadside.....and that MOST people shooting mechanicals are doing so to hide a tuning ssue.

If your bow's got a tuning issue, though......flying just like your field points isn't necessarly a great thing.

Now....refer back to my opening sentence......

Old 06-19-2007, 02:14 PM

i think it comes down to prefrence
Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM

This was my first impression of mechanicals. Kinda like a folding pocket knife that won't cut you accidently. I carry both heads in my quiver. The Montec G5 will go through the mesh of my ground blind without loss of accuracy, and these heads seem to do just about everything well - except maybe sharpen easily - but I have figured out a couple of tricks to getting the razor sharp. I also have a couple of expandables at the front of the quiver. If I ever need to shoot beyond 40 yards (hasn't happened yet), the expandable flys better.

One thing I have seen a couple of times - in slow motion on the video - is an expandable hit a small twig and one of the blades open prematurely. This, in turn, causes the arrow to pivot somewhat against the uneven resistance. It can cause a miss if the animal is very far past the twig. It can also cause the arrow toenter the animal at an angle if the twig is just in front of the animal - screwing up penetration and shot placement.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow.............i guess thats why fixed are still my favorite

nahh i shoot both and like both but for some reason i just like my fixed better
Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 PM

I have been using Spitfires for the last couple of years and I've been very impressed w/ their quality and performance. I have used the same head to kill 5 deer and have yet to break or damage a blade. The heads disassemble easily for cleaning and resharpening. 4 out of 5 killswere passthroughs; one hit the inside of the opposite shoulder. I must admit, they don't passthrough w/ a lot of zip. But I guess thats irrelavent considering my freezer is full.
Although, you guys have sold me on Slicktricks. I'm gonna give em a try this year.

Quick Reply: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.