Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wildlife Biology? >

Wildlife Biology?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wildlife Biology?

Old 06-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Wildlife Biology?

Is there any wildlife biologists out there? I was wondering how you go about it and what it is like. I'll be a junior in high school next year so I am deciding what I want to do. Thanks for any input!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wildlife Biology?

Alot of competition in wildlife bio jobs. Im majoring in Aquatic Bio. If you do decide to try Wildlife bio. check out Murray State in western KY, and it would be a great idea to go for your masters.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I graduated 32 yr's ago with a Wildlife Management Degree from University of WI. For 18 yr's I managed a County Land Conservation Dept. For the last 14 yr's I 've worked for our State Ag Dept. Wildlife Biology is a tough major. When I started school, most of the guys I was in the dorm with were wildlife majors. By the end of the first semester, most of them changed majors. You have to know soils, forestry, limnology, chemistry, as well as plant and animal biology, some engineering and communication skills.
As Psebw... said, getting into the field is really tough. There are a lot of otherscompetingfor a very few jobs. You'll never make a lot of money.
Having said that, I have enjoyed my job and look forward to going to work almost every day. Given the chance, I would do it all over again.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:47 PM

My brother got a Wildlife Biology degree from Colorado state. He went right into fighting forest fires and hasn't looked back.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 PM

I am an Animal Biology major at University right now. I am entering into my last couple of semesters and so far haven't had any trouble finding work, I've worked for Ducks Unlimited, Private consulting companies and right now working for The Ministry of Enviroment. I love the work I am in the field 4-5 days a week and am able to scout while working

Kirby
Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

I just graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a Wildlife Biologist degree and I am finding plenty of opportunities out there for me. You need to go to your school counselor and ask them to locate colleges that offer Wildlife Biology or Wildlife Management degress and go from there.

If you enjoy science class you will love this degree. Another bonus is to find a college that offers classes through Biological Stations. Most are two week classes in the field and you get full semester credit for it. You will be exhausted after the two week but it will be the best time learning science you will ever have.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Does anyone know about the Fisheries and Wildlife Management major at Lake Superior State University in the upper peninsula of Michigan? That is my home state so I think that would be cool. My mom is pissed because I just got my report card today from the school year we just finished and I have straight A's. She thinks I need to do something where I would use my knowledge more. I was thinking about the US Naval Academy but now am second guessing that because I feel I need to do something I will enjoy rather than get the amazing honor. Military has always been a HUGE interest but I feel that I would get more out of this. I COULD FISH AND HUNT IN THE UP MORE TOO!!!