Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hypothetically speaking... (broadheads) >

Hypothetically speaking... (broadheads)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hypothetically speaking... (broadheads)

Old 06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hypothetically speaking... (broadheads)

Nothing is in my hands yet, and I'm still dealing in the realm of hypotheticals, but let's presume the following:
[ol][*]You have about $80 in un-used gift cards for Cabelas and Gander that will be blown on hunting gear of some kind... You've pretty much already decided that this money will be blown on experimental broadheads.[*]Presuming that you're using a 100 grain head, you have a bow that will be shooting a 270 grain arrow at 340-360 fps. This will be your hunting setup.[*]You already have an entirebox full of Muzzy 100's, but you're bored with that, and you want to try a mechanical head. You want to push the envelope a little bit.[/ol]
I'm looking for expandable broadhead recommendations. Heavy blades and a bone-eating chisel tip are key features to me.

I've got my eye on the Wasp Jak Hammer SST1-3/4" 100 grain3 bladers.

After doing a little homework, it looks like these Wasp heads have a .036" thick blade, which is tops for mechanicals.

I've had bad episodes in the past with mechanical broadheads dissintegrating in heavy bone. A little research revealed that the models that gave me problems had relatively frail, thin blades.

Making the same mistake twice is not an option.

So talk to me about mechanical heads, and why I should/shouldn't use them this season.

Anyone have any personal experience with the Jak Hammers?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hypothetically speaking... (broadheads)

Rocky Mtn Snypers or Rage.

Id only use a re-ward opening blade design.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

You sure you don't have those fps numbers and your arrow weigh numbers transposed?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

You sure you don't have those fps numbers and your arrow weigh numbers transposed?
I'm sure the numbers are right. I know, it sounds crazy.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow, Fran.....that's all I can say......

I'm still trying to understand, though, honestly. The 270gr is before (or after)you add the broadhead? I've just never heard of anything like this.

Rob/PA's had good luck with the Rage heads, I think. They deploy rearward and open PRIOR to impact. If I were going to switch (I already have a LOT of Muzzy's though)....that's one I'd give a look.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM

Rocket Sidewinder, .036" blades, 1 1/2" cutting diameter. I don't have any experience w/ the Wasp head you're looking at, but those Rockets are serious heads.

The AfterShock HyperShock has .032" blades, and they are some midevil looking, grim reeper demonic looking sons a guns.....I'm most intrigued by them, but have no experience w/ them.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ed - I saw that video of the Rage slipcams on their website a couple weeks ago. They look like they'd work pretty good - .030" blades are sturdy. Lots of stuff moving/locking/unlocking going on in those heads.

I'm tempted to call the company and see if they'd mail me one to play with. They remind me of those old punchcutter heads, just heavier.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Try NAP Spitfires. I killed a doe last year @ 25 yds with one and the broadhead went through the shoulder and out the other side, plus they don't need rubber bands...
Nontypical Buck

I shot 3 deer with the 2 blade Rages last year. They are nearly perfect in everything I would want in a head. My only suggestion is to at that speed add a rubber band around the blades to make sure they don't open prematurely.

If you had to pick one second head, I would get the rocket steelheads.
Fork Horn

I used the Wasp SST several years ago and killed several deer with them with good results. However, I quit when I shot a good buck that was quartering away and the opening of the broadhead made the arrow kick out to the side.It lost all the energy needed for penetrationresulting in an injured deer that would have been dead with a fixed blade head.Impact location was perfect. Since then I have gone back to the Muzzy 100 and have no reason to look at any other head. I have killed a lot of game with them and never had any problems period. I'll never get bored with something that works. If you are set on trying a mechanical I would definitely stay away from any head that folds open in the manner of the SST. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Hypothetically speaking... (broadheads)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.