Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Exercises for the Archery Season >

Exercises for the Archery Season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Exercises for the Archery Season

Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Exercises for the Archery Season

I am looking for some strengthening tips to assist in strengthening my upper body for shooting my bow, injury prevention and improve my bow holding power! This will assist me greatly while Elk hunting and that bull is coming in slowly or stops behind that inevitable bush or tree!

BSLugnut
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Exercises for the Archery Season

Can't go wrong with pushups.....and light weights with your shoulders is something we should all be doing.

I caught a BUNCH of crap last year....for suggesting we practice drawing our bows (to see if we can do so undetected) on live animals.....even if we know we'r enot going to take that particular animal.

I picked up the latest copy of Bowhunter magazine, last night. In it....there's an article that has the author suggesting JUST THAT. He said we should do this every chance we get to perfect being able to do it in those situations that DO see us wanting to take that animal.

While practicing the other evening......I drew every arrow back.....like I was in stealth mode.....trying to do so in a manner that would bring about the least detection.....slow and deliberate. it's different. We all know that. It takes a little more strength to do that. It's how I'll be practicing from now on. it also lends a lot of credence to what Don's been telling us about our draw weight.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here are bunch of sruff. Google the names to see how and do them

Back
Lat pulls
Bent-over row
Seated Row
Bent over Row Dumbbell
Lying Row
Supine Row(my favorite)
Pull Ups
Dead lifts

Shoulder
Miltary Press with Dumbbells on the ball(The machice compress your spine too much)
Upright Row/wide grip and close grip
Lateral Raise
Lever Lateral raise with dumbbells
Dumbbell raise

Chest
BenchPress & wide grip
Incline Press
Decline Press
ButterFly

Arms
Biceps
Curls
Dumbell Curls
TriCeps
Dips
Closed Grip Bench Press
Tricep Extension
Bench Dip(Best one IMO)
KickBack

Make sure to work your core. A strong core will give you greatbalance. Not always about being "strong"

The best golfers in the world are the ones with the best balance. Tiger can do over 100 of one core excersise. I can do 50 of it

Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Bartender

If you have a health club membership take the cable exercise and pratice pulling it like you would the bow.
Make sure you work both shoulders because you should never just work one side.
Also Walmart sells a rubber type band kit that you cant go wrong for the price.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4329710

Hope this helps
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I shoot a bow heavier then my normal bow. I'll shoot two weeks on my 61# bow and one week on my 70# bow. The 70#er makes the 61#er feel very easy to draw and control.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT,

Why would people give you crap about "practicing like you hunt?"
I thought that was one of the points of practice.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know, Lebeau....

I caught a bunch of crap on here for saying that I would occasionally draw down on an animal I had no intentions of shooting. The main reason cited was the chance I'd accidentally shoot the animal.

I never said I put the sight pin on the animal. I have, though, saw an animal approach.....come to full draw....and let off.....just like I was going to take that animal. It's tougher than just "drawing your bow" in the back yard. Doing so in stealth mode requires a little more strength. It's good practice if you asked me......and the article I read last night reinforces this.

Letting off is ALSO something that should be practiced "live" (IMO and the BM article author). I've had to do it on more than one occasion onanimals I've taken. What better practice could there be?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always cut out weights when the season draws near for fear of injury. Push ups (flat, level, & decline), pull ups, dips, and if you are chasing elk, lots and lots of aerobic excercise. If it is steep terrain, then I think that a bicycle is actually better than running. It works the quads out more and that is what you need to climb.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think it's a bad idea GMAT. I have a friend who does the same thing. Besides the physical benefits, it will also have some real hunting benefits (like when to draw and not get busted). Personally, letting down an a compound plays real havoc on my shoulder though.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Here are bunch of sruff. Google the names to see how and do them

Back
Lat pulls
Bent-over row
Seated Row
Bent over Row Dumbbell
Lying Row
Supine Row(my favorite)
Pull Ups
Dead lifts

Shoulder
Miltary Press with Dumbbells on the ball(The machice compress your spine too much)
Upright Row/wide grip and close grip
Lateral Raise
Lever Lateral raise with dumbbells
Dumbbell raise

Chest
BenchPress & wide grip
Incline Press
Decline Press
ButterFly

Arms
Biceps
Curls
Dumbell Curls
TriCeps
Dips
Closed Grip Bench Press
Tricep Extension
Bench Dip(Best one IMO)
KickBack

Make sure to work your core. A strong core will give you greatbalance. Not always about being "strong"

The best golfers in the world are the ones with the best balance. Tiger can do over 100 of one core excersise. I can do 50 of it
This is all good stuff, esp the part about the core. I'd also add clean and press. I think it ties everything in together and man can it get tough. Also, when you plateau try tricking your muscles by doing different stuff for like two weeks and then go back to your routine. Every now and then when my plan gets old I'll work out with the wife for a couple of weeks (which does suck) doing yoga, T-tap and pilates. It is a nice way to use your muscles different and give your body a rest from the heavy stuff.

But, most important is diet...

Quick Reply: Exercises for the Archery Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.