Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DIY Elk hunt to the rockies. >

DIY Elk hunt to the rockies.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY Elk hunt to the rockies.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default DIY Elk hunt to the rockies.

It wasn't too long ago I found myself wonderin how I was gonna keep a roof over myhead. But found out today that our department is expecting a 20%+ raise in pay grades, across the board. I dont make a whole lotta dough, but running the numbers, I figured out I might be able to have enough cash together this fall or at least the fall after, for a DIY elk hunt.

Other than getting my fat butt in shape, I'm wonderin if anyone's got some good pointers or some good links with information. I know Public Land can be rough for elk, but I wouldnt mind the adventure. Especially if I can talk my dad into goin with me. We havnt gotten to hunt together much since I graduated HS 7 years ago(yeesh already?) and it would be really cool. But I want to do it DIY style. Just for the heck of it.

So whatcha got? Any ideas? What state, what unit, what equipment?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Elk hunt to the rockies.

Go to page 8 and check out "preparing for elk season 1/2 way there" by Greg/MO That should help
Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 AM
Banned

From Houston lets say its a 2000 mile roundtrip to Colorado @ 20 mpg and $3a gallon gas = $300 bucks in gas alone. Toss in $100 misc expenses, $500 tag and you can do it yourself for $900-1000 by camping DIY.

Choose a national forest area, get a map and go.

If you aren't in shape, you'll be pissing $1000 away.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I concur with both posts above. Once you start narrowing down units give me a buzz and I'll send you some detailed information on the unit or units you're looking at.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

3 of us did a DIY hunt to the Rockies in '05. After splitting the gas, buying the either sex tag, taking along bottled water and food, camp fuel, etc., it cost me only around $900.

That did not include buying a tent, good sleeping bag, GPS, compass, light/lantern, cooking stove or any bow accessories. But the bow accessories you already have. The tent, sleeping bag, and other things you need if you don't already have will add to the cost, but those things will be there again if and when you need them again. At least that is how I explained it to my wife when buying those necessities[8D].

1. Have a good quality tent, sleeping bag, and pad, cot, or air mattress, nothing can ruin your hunt more than not getting enough sleep.

2. Take a very good pair of boots. I took two pair and am glad I did. I bought a pair of boots that are great for flatland, but they absolutely tore my feet up on the mountainous terrain. If it had not been for my old pair of Wolverines, I would have been in big trouble. The style of boots are important.

3. Have a good backpack with lots of room, and it doesn't have to be an expensive backpack. I bought a nice Fieldline that had plenty of room for $20! I carried a rainsuit, bottled water, game saw, med supplies, food & snacks, towelettes, sunglasses, extra knife, extra batteries for light and GPS, light, map, rope, camera and more in that backpack. Backpack should have a padded waistbelt and sternum strap. For packing game out(though I didn't need it) I borrowed a buddy's game carrying pack and left it in camp.

My advice is to NOT go to units 25,26 in the Flat Tops..........though I could have taken a bear, and possibly a nice muley buck with the appropriate tags I don't believe its the best units for elk, especially when an outfitter has camps all over the place. When I go back to Colorado for elk it will be someplace else.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM

All the basic pointers and more are in this book...http://www.eastmans.com/cameron_booksbb.php

Good luck to you and your father, may God bless you with a succesful hunt!!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

There are some great pointers above in the links...as a born and bread montana elk hunter...three things I can never stress enough to people when they choose to come out here...

[ul][*]Feet are your foundation-buy the best boots you can (not the most expensive, best, most supportive)[*]Sleep is your Source of energy- buy the best sleeping bag/ and pad you can (if small guy, get little over sized one, for room, and comfort)[*]Lungs are your Sustenance-no matter how much you prepare for elevation, it wont be enough...your lungs and cardiovascular fitness is the single most critical factor. [/ul]
As to the trip, in advance plan what you want, be honest with yourself, do you want the experience? do you want the hunt? do you want to kill an elk? which priority are are each of these? this will help you to level set... If success to you equals only the kill, then you had better work out three timesharder than you had planned, as that bull might be heading up a mountain, and your only hope is to out flank him at the top of the mountain, and well, your lungs will be the critical factor...

What camo, what bow, what arrows, etc. etc. etc. are all niceties, but rarely have an impact...

make sure you have a GPS, make sure you ahve a map, and make sure others know where you will be specifically/exactly...

outside of that...have a great time...this can be the result (shto by a flatlander from WI) nice bull nothing monsterous...but was two years in a row for this guy

Old 05-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Elk treads get me all !!! May be one day will be my turn...

Old 05-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

New Mexico has the best public land for elk hunting, but it will wear your butt down.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I elk unted in Arapaho National Forest in Col. year before last. Saw quite a few elk and shot a 5x4 on the last day. What was pretty cool is that it ajoins Rocky Mountain National Park and they allow you to cross their meadows to access National Forest land. We'd try to spot some good bulls under the moon light in the mornings and try to get up the mountains from where they were in the meadows and call them in! It worked the third day and was an awesome experience. We camped in the forest as well. My biggest expense was flying the processed meat home$$$$$! Won't fly again!