Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone try raising a fawn? >

Anyone try raising a fawn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone try raising a fawn?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone try raising a fawn?

I work in law enforcement and have seen plenty of deer accidents but we had a unusual one last friday. A car hit a doe whitch killed her. Twin unborn fawns were forced out of her on impact. One was dead but the other was alive and seemed to be okay. After placing a few calls to the proper people, we were told to put the fawn down. We were also told that goats milk is the only thing that you could feed the fawn. No goats around here to try this. We did put the fawn down. But if this happens again or a fawn is found alone, what others things can it be fed to keep it alive. I don't want to raise deer myself. I just want advise to give to people that may havethis question and want to give a fawn a chance to live.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone try raising a fawn?

When things like this stop bothering me.....I'll quit hunting (and check my head, real good). That story is just sad.....

mt...my next door neighbor (1/4 mi. away )heard something in the woods, last year (VERY NEAR where I hunt). He looked and found nothing. Next day.....it's raining....same sound. He went back in.....and found a fawn. He has a friend who raises them.....and he and his little girl took it to him. It's still doing fine. Hannah's little doe is 1 yr. old, now.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I tried but lasted two days before a cookout got the best of me.[8D]

No never because I do believe I would eat it first. Here are two pics of my favorite mounts.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

This should be good.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM

you can use goat milk replacer. its powdered milk basicly
Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

First things first, it's always wise to check with your local DNR to make sure you don't need any special permits before attempting to raise captive deer. From what I know, in most states you do need to be licensed for such things.

My dad raised deer when I was younger but I'm not 100% sure if he ever had to feed the fawns from a bottle. I believe the first two were off milk when he got them, and the fawns they had just fed from their mother.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

I raised, all kinds of deer, from red deer to muntjak deer and there's nothing better than real goatmilk if you can find some ( it's perfect for freezing as well, so you can stock it ), I tried different kinds of replacement milks some of'm powder, but that didn't make them grow up fast and strong enough as goat's milk.....

F.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

I tried but lasted two days before a cookout got the best of me.[8D]

No never because I do believe I would eat it first. Here are two pics of my favorite mounts.

lol my thoughts exactly. I know the image of a fawn is young and innocent, but in all reality it is the exact same thing as a doe, only the meat is 100 times better in my opinion. My friend killed one with his bow last year, and we smoked it whole in this homemade barbeque sauce and it was BY FAR the best deer meat ive ever eaten. nice mounts by the way, i like the standing one better.

You just gotta get past the cute and innocent look of fawns because they are no different from any other deer.IMO

if legal to raise it (not here in KY) id raise it till it got bigger then smoke the thing (cooking smoke, not shooting smoke)