Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Coolest experience in the woods >

Coolest experience in the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coolest experience in the woods

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coolest experience in the woods

I would like to see what your coolest experience is in the woods with any type of animal.

I have 2 cases.
#1- I am hunting on the ground in Illinois because i cant get in thang on with the bulky clothes and rain gear i had on. ( about 30 degrees with a downpour going on) I am at the base of my tree and i see horns pop up over the brush and a 1 year old 7 point walks in. HE sees me and comes right to me until i can see every lil detail about him and we made eye contact. HE jumped back for a second then comes right back up to me and i can practiclly touch him with my hand then he turns and walks less than 5 feet away from me up the ridge. I then move into the clover patch and i am about to freeze to death looking straight ahead for about 10 minutes. I turn to see a borderline pope and young 10 yards from me eating like there was nothing wrong and i watched him for about 10 minutes then he turned hoped over the fence and trotted away.
#2 We had a communtiy albino we watched at the house. One day i see him in the feild and want a picture so i stalk down my ditch to within 10 yards and take pictures ( lost). I couldve gotten closer because the other deer had rejected him from the groups. Havent seen him since[:@]
Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coolest experience in the woods

Last deer season I was in a treestand located in an Oak grove that is like a finger that sticks out into a pasture. It was early morning, cool, and with a light breeze blowing in my face. The sun had been up for about an hour. I was watching a couple of squirrels foraging in the leaves for acorns when like a flash a bobcat was on one of the bushytails. It was over in a second and was absolutly amazing! I never knew it was there until it struck, and neither did its breakfast. By the time I got over my awe and realized I wanted to stick an arrow in it, well it was way too late. That was incredible and something I will always remember.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

My best is when I got my first Bowkill, the deer dropped within 40 yards of my stand! As I watched the deer take its last breath and was taking the whole thing in I decided to call my Dad back in Michigan. While I was talking to him telling him the story, a mature 8 point comes running in and stops at my dead deer and starts sniffing it. He walked around it for like 10 minutes but never offered me a shot! I'll never forget that experience!!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 PM

funniest was watching a squirrel try jumping from one tree top to the other, only to not jump far enough and fall about 50 feet. lol i thought it had died but it got up, and took off right back up the tree. i laughed for atleast ten minutes after that one.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Coolest? Several years ago while getting ready to call it quits one late morning I sat down on a small treestump and started rattling just for the heck of it. After a couple sequences of rattling and light grunting, a young 6 pt. buck came in from just south of me out of thick brush. As I sat dead still on the stump he came in cautiously right up to me sniffing, stomping and eyeing me. my eyes watered as I didn't want to blink. He was close enough that I could have touched him with my bow. He finally backed off after a couple of minutes, circling me until he finally got my wind and ran off. It was very cool and exciting! Wish I had pics.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My coolest experience in the woods didn't involve hunting...but it made me the proud parent of a great lookingboy thats now in the US Army.

Man she was an animal!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm trying to clean up my act so all I can say I was a freshmen and she was a senior.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Last year.....I got into my tree pretty early in the afternoon for a whitetail hunt. I'd only been there a short time when a 5 pointer came in and bedded down 14 yds from my stand for over 3 hours.

As prime time came.....a few small bucks started up the hill. I watched the 5-pointer get up and go over to them. I witnessed 4 sparring matches between 6 bucks, that afternoon......and never drew my bow.

THAT was my best day afield.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spotted a huge buck bedded just off the old path I was driving out on. I kept going like nothing was up and pushed the clutch in and rolled to a stop about 100 yards down (thats why I love a stick shift). I got down-wind and snuck back on him...took me a good 30 minutes. I got to within 10 yards of that buck, which was a 160 class deer. All I could see was his right ear, right antler and most of his left antler. He was laying in the old track of the logging skidder that had come through, so almost like laying in the bottom of a canoe. I probably could have killed him, but I was rifle hunting, and if I had tried a shot and screwed it up, it would have been one of my worse hunting experiences instead of one of the coolest. I have never been that close to a deer before in a spot/stalk. As it happened, I tried to move to a small opening a ways back, but the wind got me and I never even heard him go. Found an old shed of his three days later, but haven't seen him since. Then I moved back to VA...so hopefully someone will work for him and get him the right way.

Other than that, I had a young eagle swoop down and hammer a floating goose decoy...that was pretty neat.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the coolest things I ever saw while on stand was a hawk flying through the woods about four feet above the ground. The woods were normally dense, but to see this hawk fly through the forest at such a high speed without colliding into any obstacle was mind boggling.

Quick Reply: Coolest experience in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.