Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you shoot a radio collared deer? (pic) >

Would you shoot a radio collared deer? (pic)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a radio collared deer? (pic)

Old 05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you shoot a radio collared deer? (pic)

Got this picture and many others of this buck. Its right in the middle of the CWD outbreak in Wisconsin. The UW Madison is doing a CWD study on deer movement and their social groups. When I questioned the DNR about this deer, he told me of the 5 year old study. He said they are legal to shoot, but asked me not to.

I was shocked, as I didn't even know of such a study.I read that since the study started 5 years ago, an average of 20 radio collared deer a year have been taken. So far they have collared 174 deer.

They are really interested in buck movement. In March they found a collared doe dead. She got CWD and weighed only 82 lbs. When she was captured in 2004 she weighed 130 lbs. as a 2 year old.

What if this buck grows large and in your book is a shooter, do you take him or let him walk thinking by doing so, it would help the study?

It may be hard for me to hold back since I will want to break the cherry on my new Mathews.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:28 PM

Default RE: Would you shoot a radio collared deer?

If it were leagal to shoot it,then I would.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is was just a 1.5 old or a small 2.5 old buck, I would let it walk. If it grew to be a nice looking buck, I would take it as long as it is legal. Can't say I would eat it if it was in the CWD zome, but I would definitly donate it to the needy.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds like a tough question, but not really. What do you value more? The deer or the knowledge that would be gained by letting it walk?

Hope this helps
Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about shooting him, but I hope that collar is big enough if he makes to be a mature buck. Some of those 22" neck monsters might have a tight squeeze in that collar. I would hate to see it hamper him if he makes it that long.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally have NO interest in shooting ANY immature animal but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a mature deer with a collar. Taking that animal and then reporting it could provide researchers with valuable information.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Spike

Without a doubt, I wouldNOT shoot the deer if I knew this was some kind of study on something as important as CWD. That's just something more important to all of us as hunters than I think it would be for me to have a big buck on my wall. I probably wouldn't want to eat the meat anyway if I knew I was hunting in a CWD active area. I know you can get that deer tested and all that and in some cases its mandatory depending on the regulations, but to me itsnot worth the risk. JMHO.

Also, I don't think that collar is too loose. Its neck is going to swell when that buck is in rut so you need room for that expansion. At this time of year their necks look a lot smaller.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, as long as it is legal.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Bartender

I read a some of this study so far and they stated a doe went as far into northern Illinois then came back. I will see if I can find it
ORIGINAL: janesburg

Got this picture and many others of this buck. Its right in the middle of the CWD outbreak in Wisconsin. The UW Madison is doing a CWD study on deer movement and their social groups. When I questioned the DNR about this deer, he told me of the 5 year old study. He said they are legal to shoot, but asked me not to.

I was shocked, as I didn't even know of such a study.I read that since the study started 5 years ago, an average of 20 radio collared deer a year have been taken. So far they have collared 174 deer.

They are really interested in buck movement. In March they found a collared doe dead. She got CWD and weighed only 82 lbs. When she was captured in 2004 she weighed 130 lbs. as a 2 year old.

What if this buck grows large and in your book is a shooter, do you take him or let him walk thinking by doing so, it would help the study?

It may be hard for me to hold back since I will want to break the cherry on my new Mathews.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a radio collared deer? (pic)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.