HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would you shoot a radio collared deer? (pic)
Old 05-22-2007, 05:22 PM
peakrut
Bartender

Default RE: Would you shoot a radio collared deer?

I read a some of this study so far and they stated a doe went as far into northern Illinois then came back. I will see if I can find it
ORIGINAL: janesburg

Got this picture and many others of this buck. Its right in the middle of the CWD outbreak in Wisconsin. The UW Madison is doing a CWD study on deer movement and their social groups. When I questioned the DNR about this deer, he told me of the 5 year old study. He said they are legal to shoot, but asked me not to.

I was shocked, as I didn't even know of such a study.I read that since the study started 5 years ago, an average of 20 radio collared deer a year have been taken. So far they have collared 174 deer.

They are really interested in buck movement. In March they found a collared doe dead. She got CWD and weighed only 82 lbs. When she was captured in 2004 she weighed 130 lbs. as a 2 year old.

What if this buck grows large and in your book is a shooter, do you take him or let him walk thinking by doing so, it would help the study?

It may be hard for me to hold back since I will want to break the cherry on my new Mathews.