Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coolest gadget?

Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coolest gadget?

Therma-cell gets my vote too.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok I'm gonna really take the "suck-up" award for this one. BUt I vote HNI...This is where I found out about a thermacell and how good they work...This is where I read a great review for Muzzy Zero Effect rests...Heck this is where I initially heard of a little company called Bowtech... So while there are many great new gizmos out there you need people like we have on HNI to test and pass word of mouth on whats good and whats not so good (Elimatracks ??).
Old 05-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd have to say ........for me.....a cheap broadhead target (like my yellow jacket) has probably helped me a lot. I'm guessing these targets are "fairly" new to the industry (I've only been shooting a couple of years....actually less than). I'm also guessing that a LOT of people used to go into the woods not really knowing where their BH's were hitting.....because they never shot them prior to the season. I could be wrong.....

With today's array of BH targets......I shoot BH's all season long.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good call on the targets Jeff. Often an area that is overlooked as far as necessary gear to prepare for season. I've never used a thermacell, but everyone I talk to raves about them. I've never needed one, but for my bear hunt this fall (hopefully pending lottery) I will have to get one.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Ok I'm gonna really take the "suck-up" award for this one. BUt I vote HNI...This is where I found out about a thermacell and how good they work...This is where I read a great review for Muzzy Zero Effect rests...Heck this is where I initially heard of a little company called Bowtech... So while there are many great new gizmos out there you need people like we have on HNI to test and pass word of mouth on whats good and whats not so good (Elimatracks ??).
I completely agree with you. Same story here.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm saying hands down the Bohning Blazer vane.
I posted this a while back on another thread but I know a lot of you guys don't know the history of the Blazer vane.
Myself and a bunch of other bowhunters in NE PA (When I lived in Schuylkill Co.) were shooting blazers over 10 yrs ago. I have pictures of bowkills from 1997 with "Blazers" on my arrows.
[:-]
Only they weren't CALLED Blazers and they were being made by hand one at a time by Dave Andrews at Andrews Archery in Frackville, PA.
We would go to Dave to get his "Custom Cut" vanes and they were VERY popular. They would even have the pen marks on them where they were marked for length.
Dave would take a full 5" Bohning vane (I forget the model but I think it might have been a Knife Edge vane?) and he would cut them down to the now familiar profile. Thats' where the short length combined with high back originally came from. The "Original" ones had the same profile but the production ones are a little stiffer / thicker.

Dave kept trying for years to get Bohning to just MAKE them as a production vane and I think they resisted.......finally 2 or 3 yrs ago?They gave in and I would probably think they are happy they did huh?
I remember talking to the Bohning rep at the ATA show the year they debuted about all this and him saying....."Oh yeah that guy just kept telling us we HAD to make these vanes"

I sure hope Dave is getting SOMETHING from Bohning for this design because he was the pioneer of that profile and has ultimately made Bohning a pretty penny I'm sure.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

5.5 gpi arrows. 5 years from now, they will be the norm, and they'll be what propels our hunting rigs to the 400 mark.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 AM

Thermacell.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arazona easy fletcher , thermacell is a must where I live also
Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Handheld GPS.... (Garmin 60CSx)

I hunt public land and always had guys going to my locations off my markers. Now I just plot the location and track the route and walk right in not more than 10 feet off the original trail I created in the dark. I have to say its the best confidence builder to go in deeper and explore more than anything I have ever used. I would be lost without it now in my woods.

FYI my walk ins are on average over a mile.

~Jeff

Quick Reply: Coolest gadget?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.