Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the dumbest thing you ever did? >

What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

I bought a jetski when I got out of college. I lived in Greenville, NC.....and would put in at the Tar River sometimes REALLY early in the morning.......before work.....and start my day off with a refreshing run.

One morning.....I was back at the ramp.....and I put my flag on the trailer so that I could see to back it with my S-10 pickup. I was picking up the flag as I backed up and BAM!! I creased the %$^# out of my door when it caught on a piling. I'd left my door open to back up.

That never happened, again
Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: pjhunts

This doesn't have to pertain to hunting, just outdoors happenings. My wife will tell you that the stupidest thing she saw me do was last year when I was cutting some brush out of the edge of the yard. It was right before dark and I had my chainsaw going when I felt something bite me. I turned my saw off to see what it was. That's when I noticed that I was being swarmed by yellow jackets. I ran to the house as fast as I could with bees all over me. My wife met me at the door and shoved me back in the garage and said " You aren't coming into this house with all those bees on you" I was being stung over and over again. So she says take your clothes off and I'll let you in. I did. I got inside and she swatted the last few bees that were in my hair and on my back.. Now I was pretty mad. I had been stung somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 -60 times. I thought I would pull a fast one on those bees and went back out there after dark with some gas. I found there hole in the ground and torched it. Done deal I thought. I went to work the next day and when I got home I thought I would check and see if there were any bees left. I didn't see and flying around and I kind of had to pee, so I whipped "tiny" out and peed into the hole to express my distaste for those stupid bees. Wouldn't you know it there was one stinkin bee left in that darn hole. He flew out in a straight line and stung me right on my "other head" if you know what I mean. That REALLY hurt! My wife can't tell this stroy without laughing herself to tears.
Sorry.............I can't come close to topping that one!!!!!!!!!!! OW![&:]
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I forgot my bow at home on opening day of archery season. Swear on my life. I didn't realize it until I had my treestand on my back, and flashlight in-hand. Monumental gaffe.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Moved in with or dated a woman who didn't like my friends or who my friends told me to break away from. They were always right.

Come to thing of it, so is my lovely wife of six years. And she thinks my friends are great for me to have, though she gets a little fed up with all the hunting and fishing talk we seem to do when we get together.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The night before the opener in Illinois a friend wanted some help hanging two stands so WKP/Todd and I said we would help. Well I had my saftey belt and everything else packed for the morning hunt, so I went up with out my saftey belt. Not what your thinking, now i'm afraid of heights so while up in the stand I had two branchs to trim and I would be done. I cut the first one on the side of the tree and left about 4 inchs so you could hang a backpack or something on it and I could hang onto it while I cut the other branch that was right over the standat a 45 degree angle to the first one. Well while I was cutting the big branch in front of me the thought came through mymind that I don't want to cut it all the way through and hit my other hand that I was hanging on with. Well you guessed it about that same time the branch falls and blood starts to spray every where, amazing what agood Greber saw will do to the back of a hand. 2 pints of blood and 35 stichs and aplastic surgen to put the tendons back togather I missed opening morning. Lucky for me WKP/Todd is a design engineer and made me a speical brace so I could hunt that night with my bow lowered to 60# and only 1 pin set for 20 yards.. Now that was dumb!!!! Walt
Old 05-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in my earlier years of bowhunting, I tried taking a broadhead off of my arrow, with just my fingers. I can still see the scar on my finger after 10-12 years.Doesn't take much for the broadhead to slip and make a deep cut. Moral of the story... Always use a Broadhead wrench!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

a couple of buddies of mine along with me were cleaning up some woods and had gathered a pile of branches and whatever else was laying around. well it had been wet for awhile so when we went to start the fire it wouldnt start without some persuading. we got a 5 gal. can of gas and figured if this wouldnt do it, nothing would. we fianlly got it started on 1 side of the pile and couldnt seem to get it started anywhere else. so being the geniouses we are, we had one person trying to light the gas and one person pouring the gas on the pile. sure enough it didnt take long and all of a sudden the whole thing went up in flames. it almost got one of my friends (the one trying to light it) pretty good. me and the other guy that were pouring gas on it just jumped back and we seemed fine. then i look down at the gas can and there was flames coming out of the nozzle. i then proceded to put my hand over it (yes i had gloves on) thinking that it would suffocate it. well it didnt work so when i realized this, i yelled RUN!!!!! oh man that was so funny looking back on it but at the time all of us could have been really hurt in that accident.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Many to mention..but one recent one still makes me shiver...

Two summers ago my brother and I had one of them "goat roping" adventures we'd rather forget...All because we were in a hurry to get in the hills.
First dumb thing was getting a flat tire and not blocking the other 3 wheels while changing it. Didn't notice it until a passer by stopped to help, and noticed it himself. This was WAY out of normal for me, and something I kicked myself for to this day. Thank GOD we were on level ground and the truck didn't roll on one of us.
Second dumn thing was getting to our destination and realizing we left 1/2 of our gear sitting in front of the garage, including matches, most of our food, tent, and my warm jacket. We made a makeshift shelter out of a tarp, got a fire going with an emergency magnesium fire kit I had on my keychain, and we ended up catching a couple fish to eat. Luckily we had good sleeping bags.
Third dumb thing was continuing the goat roping by letting my brother insist his truck could make it over the few remaining snow drifts to get back into the high mountain lake of our final destination. We did fine getting in (the drifts were solid from the night cold),but got stuck BAD on theway out (imagine that...the sunshine softened the drifts). Once again luck provided a very helpful couple on 4-wheelers that gave us a ride back to a phone. A couple hours later my wife showed up in the truck and took our sorry butts home.Two weeks later my brother was able to get his truck out after the snow finally subsided.

Oh, one other stupid thing....NEVER TRY TO START A BBQ WITH COLMAN CAMP FUEL SUBSTITUTING FOR LIGHTER FLUID!!!!...my arm hair has finally grown back. Fortunately I was "smart" enough to light it with and outstretched arm and a stick. WOOOSH!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM

hmmm....lets see here....

*12 foot flame out of a Coleman camping stove...
*Machete wound on right shin...
*More "Trust me guys, I know what I'm doing" than should ever be allowed
*Fish hooks/lures in several different fingers
*Have had the brush fire crew at the scout cabin on multiple occasions because they thought e had a REALLY big fire (they just don't see the beauty ina bonfire that you can see from outerspace!)
*Takin a couple non-voluntary swims in different lakes to retrieve poles, nets, etc.
*Many more stupid stories to share...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM

deleted....darn doubleposts!

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.