Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When is enough...enough!!! >

When is enough...enough!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is enough...enough!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is enough...enough!!!

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

It'll be enough when I'm dead.

This is my hobby, my passion, my obsession. I do it because it makes me happy, thats my justification. I can afford to, which helps.

Perhaps things will change slightly when I have a family to support, but I doubt it.
everything I was going to say as well. That's how crazy the insanely obsessed hunters such as me and washington get. And I'll justify it just like washington said. hobby, passion, obsession. Well put!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't need to justify it.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 PM

During the season I read post on what people are using and there opions on it.
At the close of season the proshops aroung here start discounting camo and thats when I buy the next seasons gear.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't buy alot and whenI do,I usually get the expensive stuff so I don't have to replace it often.I finally replaced my 10 year old cover alls this year because they just didn't keep me warm anymore.The replacement bibs and parka set me back $375.00 but I didn't get cold this year.Money well spent imo.

I used to buy a bow every year but being on staff allowed me to buy one and not be out anything when I sold it.I sold my shooter bow from last year and I am still shooting an xtec from a couple years back.

As far as arrows go.That is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your gear.Save the money on the bows guys and put a little extra into the arrows.I shoot Acc's and I am shooting the same arrows I bought 3 years ago but I got a hell of a deal on a dozen for $55.00.They were rejects that had to be cut and couldn't be sold as new and they were flawless.Plus,being a shop shooter gave me a few more dollars off.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone's circumstances are different.My criteria would be if you are not shorting your family buy what ever you want within your means.
I always have wants,I rarely have needs.My thing is having top quality stuff,once I have it though I will stick with it until it no longer does what it is supposed to do.I have one bow that I have had for 5 years now,I have a simple battery of rifles,a 22,a 12 guage,a .270,a 30.06,a muzzle loader.I drive a 10 year old Toyota Tacoma.
I am fortunate in that I can afford to do much more than I do but my sense of value and my sense of personal responsibility keeps me from purchasing the lastest this or that.
My current focus over the last couple of years has been quality clothing for all my hunting scenarios's.I am two or three pieces from being done with that and then I wont likely be purchasing any thing for quite a while.
If your weapon is reliable and you are clothing is comfortable then you can place all your focus on your hunting.Thats how I view it.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 AM

its the same as anything else you spend your money where you want. some of us buy used cars because we can't justify the price of a new one others get a new car every other year
Old 05-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

I think it all depends on your budget. Some people buy the latest, greatest and most expensive stuff every year, if they can afford it then i guess thats fine, but i have other things to spend money on (still hunting stuff though) haha
Actually, that is a common misconception. There are segments of the market who could afford it but don't see it as functional so they will not pay for it. There are also segments of the market that can't really afford it, but will spend the money so people think that they can. Then there are the people in the middle who can afford it and do buy it. It takes all kinds. That is why marketing is such a great job. There is someone out there for everything. All you have to do is find them and make them find you.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: gutshot

Man I see you guys talking about paying $200-$250 for camo and $150 for 1 dozen arrows got me to wondering. How do you justify spending these amounts. I have 3 different sets of camo that I wear during a typical season and I probably don't have $120 in all three. So my question is when is it finally enough?
I really am left wondering why you would ask this question? What one considers 'enough' maybe very different than the next. I have a certain budget, and a set of priorities that I maintain, which includes many charitable contributions, etc. What my particular place in life financially, academically, socially, etc.,is not determined by the same factors as yours or the next guys, and may be less or more, depending on who I am talking to. I am a steward of what God has blessed me with, and it maybe less than yours or someone elses, and that is all that I am responsible for.IfI feel the freedom to take a trip to Illinois, or next year to only go tothe woods behind my house or to purchase several new sets of camo or a new bow,it is between me and Him. I am delighted when I hear of someone else getting to go to Canada. It something that I want to do one day--but if I never do and you can 10 times, thenI will celebrate with you, and be contennt with the oppurtunities that do come my way.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great post manuman,

I think the author was getting less at trips and land,etc., but sort of a gear worship. As someone else said, it isn't the people in the middle who buy a nice level of gear or the rich who decide they don't need great gear, but the people who don't have, the young guys who spend their entire paycheck the second they get it and hoc their future for some stuff (which moths and rust destroy, and thieves break in and steal). I don't think most people really believe that he who dies with the most toys wins or is really at peace with himself.

This is all about materialism, which is rampant in our society. I know, because I am guilty of it much more than I would like to be. Half the time I'm thinking about the next "thing" I'm going to get: truck, house, hunting gear, instead of being grateful for what I have and spending time connecting with my family and my God.

Every now and then it is good to rethink your perspectives and priorities, and step back from a large purchase or stop constantly dwelling on the acquisition of more and more stuff. Prayed about that this morning.

Don't interpret this post as saying you can't reward your efforts with a nice truck or buy your family a nice house, it is just a basic post about priorities and how our society is inundated with materialism, which affects different people in different ways, just like drinking, gambling, etc. I personally struggle with materialism.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on who you are asking. My Wife thinks I have too much now and I think I could "use" a few more things. I have a lot of Camo.....nothing real expensive, because I buy all of my stuff at the end of the year when it all goes on sale. My bow is 6 or 7 years old.

If you can afford it have at it. I for one don't need the latest and greatest things on the market or have a desire to have them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.