Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can the trophy determine what's ethical?? >

Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

Old 05-02-2007, 01:13 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

I don'tthink the title of the post is really what I wanted but I keep thinking it's going to be someones reply. It's regarding an article in BOWHUNT AMERICA (APR 07). First off, I know what I think about this and what my choice would be so this isn't a question thatI need answering butI'dlike to hearfrom others because I don't think I've seen a single post here that doesn't get varied opinions.
So to get on with it, page 32 hasan article ("Are you ready for Brown Bears") that Ithink was pretty good and exciting (a good read). Got to the end on page 40where there are 2 pictures of the auther with 2 very nice trophys and the caption for the top photobasically stopped me in my tracks and it was all I could think of while Itried to browes through the rest of the Mag (I kept flipping back to that page and re-reading it).
The caption readsverbatim "Brown bears are big-bodied and tough as nails.The author arrowed this bomber 9-footer as the bear sleptinside a streamside adler tangle. Just 20 steps away, the bear looked as big as a tank." I'm sure it's apparent what got my attention and in fact it is still on my mind so how about some replies.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

so the bear was sleeping big deal.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you are questioning the ethics of a laying down/bedded shot...

Or are you questioning whether snuffing out Winnie the Pooh while he dreams of Honey Pots and Hefflumps is kosher?

With response to the first line of thinking.... it depends. I wasn't there...didn't see the angle...the bush...or the bear. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Second line of thinking....if he was asleep, that just means you were able to sneak up on him then and do what you would have done anyway. If you can sneak to within 20 steps of a 9 foot brown blanket on four feet then I think you have sufficently mastered that animals defenses....asleep or not.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant really decide. It kinda seems unfair that he shot it while it was sleeping. But it wasnt hibernating or anything was it? The bear could have heard him stalking up on him and ran off right? I dont think its illegal to kill a "sleeping" animal, so im not sure what to think...

I also dont hunt bear
Old 05-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

The REAL question seems to be.......

Is it "ethical" to shoot a sleeping/bedded animal.

"Trophy" or not has little or nothing to do with the question (in my eyes). I find myself torn with the question. I honestly think a MORE ethical shot can be placed on a standing animal. The fact that the animal is asleep or bedded has nothing to do with why I would or wouldn't shoot it. I just think it's a LESS ethical shot.....due to the target.

I had a buck bed 14 yds from my tree last year for more than 3 hours. If he'd been something I wanted to take..... I could have stuck him to the ground. I'm happy he wasn't.

This is a good question, for me.......and I don't think there's a wrong answer. it's personal.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right. It is a less ethical shot. This is a really tough question
Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. I have a question for you then, is it more ethical to track down a bear and shoot it while it's sleeping or shoot one over bait? From what I can tell most bears are shot over bait from a stand.

It's pretty hard to hunt something that can hunt you back.

In my eyes you have to have BIG brass ones to sneak up on a sleeping bear and shoot it from the ground, with a bow no less!

Paul
Old 05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

In my eyes you have to have BIG brass ones to sneak up on a sleeping bear and shoot it from the ground, with a bow no less!

Paul
Haha, good point!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Hey I have an idea, maybe you can have a buddy run up and poke it with a stick and you can shoot it while it is charging and PO'd.

That would for sure be more ethical for the bear. Not so much for you though probably[].

Paul
Old 05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. I have a question for you then, is it more ethical to track down a bear and shoot it while it's sleeping or shoot one over bait? From what I can tell most bears are shot over bait from a stand.

Paul
yes, and last time i checked the vitals on a broadside standing or sleeping bear are the same size[:-]

Quick Reply: Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.