Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you hunt? >

How do you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you hunt?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you hunt?

I always know in advance, specifically where I'll be hunting depending on certain conditions,right down to which tree I'll hunt out of. This of course doesn'tapply when I go to Alberta.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 AM

I've killed some deer hunting on the fly. Actually a higher percentage than when hunting pre-hung stands, maybe something to think about right there.

There have been times that I've just strapped a climber on and went walking to find a spot, and killed deer less than an hour later on an early afternoon hunt.

hunting prehung stands allows you to get in quicker, usually quieter, and is pre-scouted.

I've found that sometimes when hunting on the fly I tend to really overanalyze the setup, and picking the right spot takes a good amount of time; time loss and possible ground scent contamination that I DON'T want. Also have the issue of clearing shooting lanes.

Probably the main reason I don't do it more is that my API bowhunter and Ol' Man climbers aren't what I call perfect for this kind of hunt. Seem just a tad on the noisy side, I normally will just leave them at the tree. And steel climbing sticks aren't really portable either. I AM planning on making some changes in this area though.

I am planning on doing more walk-ins at public ground throughout the state in the future. I'll feel more pround of a doe on a crowded walk-in hunt than shooting a deer out of 'ole reliable' on private ground.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually have a plan in mind but they are very flexible. Weather conditions are the main reason they may change or perhaps just a "feeling" I may get.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

All my hunts are pretty much planned out since my lease is five hours away, and with work and family I can't just pick up and go.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 AM

Got'ta be both up here. It takes major planning to get where you're going to hunt with everything you need and get back out again in one piece with all your gear and at least most of the guys you went in with. Once you get there though, you've got to take what gets handed to you and deal with it as it comes.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I typically have a game plan, but not always. Depends on the wind, which farm Ive been seeing more deer at, which property Ive been hunting harder etc ...
Old 04-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends mostly on where I am hunting. If I am hunting at home, then 90% of the time I am hunting a pre-hung stand. I will, however, move at any time that it seems necessary. If I am hunting public land, then it is different. I know the area I am going and then adjust when I get there as far as setting up a stand.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Soon as I know the weather and wind directions I know exactly what property I'll be hunting andthe treeI will be in.

Most of these are an assortment of pre-hung lock on stands except for on State ground I use the climber.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im on the fly most of the time, i dont like to over hunt an area. some hunts are scouting hunts in new areas, just to get a feel for where and when the deer are moving and then i adjust from there. I have learned not to get caught up in sign hunting (rub lines, scrapes) I love hunting terrain edges. My area is mostly HUGE woods.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

Soon as I know the weather and wind directions I know exactly what property I'll be hunting andthe treeI will be in.

Most of these are an assortment of pre-hung lock on stands except for on State ground I use the climber.
This describes me to a tee ..... I am frankly surprised with some of the responses .... I just may have to bring my climber out a little more ...... good post ....

Quick Reply: How do you hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.