Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Feel like buying some new camo >

Feel like buying some new camo

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feel like buying some new camo

Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feel like buying some new camo

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

The skyline stuff is pretty sweet for late season when the leaves are down. I like some of you guys though, I wear a mishmash of stuff. My biggest problem is finding stuff that fits. I'm 6'10" so length is a big problem. Sleeves are usually way to short and pants as well usually look like capris. Does anyone know if the Enigma comes in bigger sizes? I need like a 3XT. MossyOak seems to be the one with the most sizes that fit me, so that is what I usually wear.
I believe Chuck will be able to customfit whatever you need. I'm sure someone will confirm this soon.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

How deep are your pockets

I am ordering a set of ASAT made by these guy.

http://www.sitkagear.com/ These guys make great stuff, but it is far far from cheap.
Buckeye set me up with the new threads. So shoot him a PM if you are intersted.

I like I have replace all my camo this year with these three. You can not go wrong with these IMO. I

Enigma
ASAT
Predator

Material I like

Wolfskin fleece or wool. Buckskin is nice as long as the temps are above freezing, same goes for saddle cloth.

Good luck
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried on some fleece jackets in an outfitter grey pattern at Cabela's, and they were REALLY nice, but I just couldn't bring myself to part with that kind of bling bling for a hunting coat that really wasn't all that much better than the ones I already had.

I think it was this stuff - http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_930472 &id=0033526932534a If you like fleece, you'll like this coat. But you won't like the pricetag (considering that it doesn't have any kind of scentblocking liner).
Fran

I have this stuff (the jacket, pants and vest) from Cabelas and it is real nice gear.... Super warm, comfortable and quiet. I did not buy the "windshear" though as I layer it under Gore-Tex.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fran I have a pile of burr burr fleece from Cabela's.Quiet and warm and a good price. I think I paid 15 bucks for mine
Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use ASAT 3D in early season with a base layer of Under Armour-like tops and bottoms to wick away sweat. It is very breathable and the ASAT mesh allows the breeze to come through.

Later in the season I had been using the ASAT 3D suit over some cold weather clothes, but it was getting bulky, so I got a Scent Lok Preadator fall greycamo suit on sale. I really like the camo for late season when there are no leaves and with a base layer of Under Armour cold gear and some thermals I should be snug until it gets really nasty. Then I'll go back to the layers and ASAT.

This combo works for me and I can mix and match for the weather from September 1-January 31.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ATLAS, I love Skylines Horizon pattern, insulated and water "proof" coat and pants. This stuff is super quiet and real warm for those bitter days. Good pocket set-up (I added two on the inside of coat though) and it blends well, especially when there's snow. Picture me in one of the trees in the background. I'm not promoting my kill just the camo.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best stuff you can buy is from Gray Wolf Woolens. Check out the Wolfskin fabric - it's waterproof, breathable, and the most comfortable stuff you will ever wear! Come in Predator and Intrusion camo patterns which work great!

www.graywolfwoolens.com
Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Germ - I can't believe you got that berberstuff for $15 bucks. That's it, I'm putting in my two-weeks' notice and getting a job at Cabela's.

Scott - I was so close to buying a set, but just couldn't part with the cash. I remember making note of the high quality, heavy duty zippers on it. (I'm a real dog on zippers for some reason.)

Atlas - So are you thoroughly confused yet? If I were in your shoes, I'd just take a roadtrip to the nearest Cabelas, hit up the bargain cave, try on 529 different pairs of pants/jackets/shirts/hats, and buy what feels right. You'll get it at a fair price, and you're guaranteed a good fit.

**Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am the world's biggest tightwad**
Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Germ - I can't believe you got that berberstuff for $15 bucks. That's it, I'm putting in my two-weeks' notice and getting a job at Cabela's.

**Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am the world's biggest tightwad**
Fran the the Cabelas label has the most profit margin for them.
in the cave I got half of cost.

The burr burr threadswas about 30 bucks cost. Half is 15

With Wind shear I think it cost me around 30.00, lOL
Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

How deep are your pockets

http://www.sitkagear.com/ These guys make great stuff, but it is far far from cheap.
If money was not a factor in my hunting purchases for this year, I would've picked up a set of Sitka Gear in the Mothwing Mountain camo the minute I put my hands on it at the SHOT Show. That stuff is awesome. Very, very good choice.

Back to the original topic though - I too was/am in the market for a new set of camo for this fall. I've pretty much decided that I'm done (at least for now) with the big names and I'm going to try a more open pattern.

At the WI Deer & Turkey Expo I got measured up for a set of Gray Wolf Woolens in Jeff's Intrusion Treeline pattern. I've already got my Wolfskin Pullover and I LOVE it. My bibs should be here sometime this summer and those two will cover me for any cooler temps (I'm thinking sub-45/50 degrees) basically from the beginning of November through the end of the season. I really can't praise these garments enough, they are every bit equivalent to the Sitka stuff, but custom tailored to your specific needs and wants, which is awesome. As Todd said earlier, the Wolfskin is waterproof, breathable, super quiet, and pretty much burr proof. You can't beat it.

For earlier in the season (before the leaves have all dropped) I'm deciding between a set of Enigma camo also in Wolfskin material, an unlined set of Gray Wolf Woolens stuff in Intrustion Deadfall (more browns/greens), or just digging out my Natural Gear BDU's and picking up a new long sleeve shirt to wear under my fleece vest that I love so much. Or I might get some fleece Predator stuff that I saw at the ATA show that's new for this year......

Decisions, decisions.......

Quick Reply: Feel like buying some new camo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.