Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It's called HUNTING >

It's called HUNTING

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's called HUNTING

Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It's called HUNTING

Well at least you and Rob had a good time anyways and thats what really counts.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:28 AM

good to see you had a good time
Old 04-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I forgot to mention that we had time, between hunts - Friday, to go to my local shop and shoot at the 3D range. 20 targets.....most in the 30+ yd range (Range will acommodate a 44 yd shot). I got smoked in rounds 1 and 2 (OK..in round 3, too). I shot my first-ever score over 200 in round 3 (204) and lost to a 208. To give you an idea of the range (how it was set up, Friday).......the opening shot is a 43 yd shot to a bedded buck.Target 20 is a standing jake @ 42 yds.

I also saw approx. 20-25 deer in my 3 day turkey hunt. We saw a group of bucks on Friday evening that showed one promising guy already growing antlers. He came in with 3-4 others and right before a group of does. I saw 9 deer on Thursday evening....about 100 yds from my honey-hole.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Can't say a whole lot more then what I wrote in my journal. It should be up in a day or so once HNI approves and posts it but needless to say, My wife and I had a fantastic time in NC with Jeff and his wife.

As most of you know, I hunted with Jeff in his hot spots last fall for deer and I was overwhelmed with the number of deer I saw. We even had a ton of deer moving in and out of some of our setups.

Now, When Jeff talks of all the birds he has wondering around his haunts you can rest assured they are there. We heard a ton of gobblers off the roost and we had them talking most of the time we spent in the blinds. Other than Kansas, blind hunting with bows is very, very new to me. I'm used to running and gunning with my shot gun (which I love to do) and sitting tight in a blind takes a lot of patience. One of the reasons I was there (other than enjoying time with a great couple) was to share as much turkey knowledge and calling with Jeff as I could. Most of the information I was relaying to Jeff was shotgunning and how I would hunt a particular bird we heard if that were the case. Moving in tight to some of these birds was out of the question. We needed to sit tight and use the calls. We were very successful as far as I'm concerned. Right now it was tough to find a gobbler that didn't have hens and when we did, we had him strutting, spitting and drumming at 18 yards.

I'll be honest, I think I messed up that particular set. Once I had him strutting in front of the blind, I called hoping to make him sound off. Something Jeff mentioned he never heard a gobbler under 50 yards and believe me, it's different and awesome. It simply makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when they pound close range. Anyway, as nervous as that bird was, he simply stood up and walked away from us.

I struggled with the blind trying to get it open so Jeff could shoot. He was at full draw and I just couldn't get the blind open in time. The beautiful gobbler walked off...[&:]

After he moved off, semi spooked we gave him some time. I fired him up again and we relocated on him. We had him gobbling his tail feathers off and I told Jeff, I gauranteed that if we were shotgunning, moved in front of him, he'd be a dead bird, easy because he was HOT! Hunting with a blind is tough to do just that.

We got into a laughing spell prior to the gobbler coming in. Jeff nicknamed me the heninator....I called hens in, in every setup...unfortunately none of them pulled any gobblers along with them, which easily could have happened.

I even got Jeff napping prior to the gobbler action. This was shortly before the gobbler walked in.

Anyway, if you get the opportunity to check out my journal once J and the HNI staff get it posted, in the words of the great Paul Harvey, you can read the rest of the story!

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal.aspx?id=58

This Saturday, PA's opening day comes in and I have the birds here at my house. Matt/PA will be joining me the first three days to hopefully collect on his first ever Spring Gobbler. I'm already looking forward to that.

I'd like to thank Jeff and his lovely wife Lisa for a fantastic weekend. The two of them make a wonderful couple and my wife and I had a blast.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Rob.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Here's one of (from L-R) My wife Lisa.....Rob....and his wife Jenny...shortly before departure back to PA. We'll do it agin, next Spring (and deer in the Fall, again).

Old 04-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you guys had a big time. Some of the best memories come from times when nothing was killed.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Sounds like you guys had a big time. Some of the best memories come from times when nothing was killed.
Exactly Jim....exactly.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

And if you guys ever need a hen called in.....you'd do good to call on Rob.

I told him, Saturday morning......that all the birds he was trying to call in were "tommed" up...LOL.

OK.....that was mean[&:].....but we were both CRYING we were laughing so hard...about 15 minutes prior to that stutter showing up. I think he was giving us a courtesy look!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

That turkey will make a mistake...and when he does, you'll get him! Best of luck...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, sounds like you all had a great time. Best of luck killing a gobbler the rest of the season.

Rob, your KS turkey hunt/journal was great, awesome photos etc.. Good luck the rest of the season. Nice work indeed.

Quick Reply: It's called HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.