Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Call shy turkeys? >

Call shy turkeys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Call shy turkeys?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Call shy turkeys?

The guy at work I turkey hunt with was out Mon-Wed. He said he saw lots of birds but could not get one to come to calling. They weren't all with hens either. He saw 2 gobblers just passing thru gobblingat any sound he made but they just kept on going. His son did manage to ambush one that came by close enough.

What can we do if I get to go down with him to bring these birds in? Most of the time we just try to figure out where they are heading and get ahead of them to cut them off. These birds just seem to walk away from all calling.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Call shy turkeys?

Ambush.... which isn't really turkey hunting to me..... OR... get one of the hens ticked off at some over aggressive hen talk and maybe you can get her to come in and then you got him. OR... wait a week or so when the hens are on a full nest and the gobblers will be trolling.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 PM

As far as the turkeies with hens let them do there thing and try and catch up with them later on in the morning when the hens have went to nest. For the turkies with out hens, If he was calling aggressivly tone it down alot, if he was calling very little call very aggresivly and try and get their attention then tone it way back. No gaurantees but this might help.

Good Hunting
Jeff
Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Ambush.... which isn't really turkey hunting to me..... OR... get one of the hens ticked off at some over aggressive hen talk and maybe you can get her to come in and then you got him. OR... wait a week or so when the hens are on a full nest and the gobblers will be trolling.
All good advice. Another thing that i think helps imensely is movement. I use a bobble-head decoy with some fishing line attached and it reall works well on those birds that get hung up and seem un-interested.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:13 AM

you have to get inbetween them and where there going in that case
Old 04-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jm,When I have birds that hang up or you see them but they wontcome in, I use the fighting toms that really gets them fired up and will come in most times. I never use the fighting toms unless they hang on me.. Walt
Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its early in the season and you shouldnt gove up any hope. The hens are far from being ready to breed and the toms know this. I have been trying to get oneparticular tom on film for about a week and called him in lastnight but not close enough for any pictures. He never made a sound. All I could see was his red head comming through the brush. At one point it looked as if he was going to come into my decoys but then all of a sudden he was gone. I did manage to call in a hen but she was also skeptical. Give the toms another weekortwo and youll see that they may come in easier. This early in the season you want to make sure you dont call too much. Too muchnow will turn a hot tom cold realfast.We have been seeing this tom for the last 2 years and watching him grow. Hes a monster now and I wish I would have put in for a tag this year. I could buy a tag over the counter, butunfortunatley, the DNR seems to ignore my area for any extra tags for any of the seasons.Im going to sit out again tomorrow morning and see if I can call him in. We see him everyday at about the same times 2 times aday buthes just not ready yet. This bird is big. He didnt get to betheboss by being stupid. I saw him last spring when I shot the tom I shot and never knew he was there. He never made a sound when he came in. But I was more than satisified with the tom I did take last year. The one we have been watching for the last two years makes the one I took last year look like a small jake. Im just hoping he cracks and comes in so I can get some high quality pictures of him so I can post them. Im thinking if he makes through the rest of the WI season, im going to try to harvest him this fall or next spring. Heres the tom I shot a year ago this May.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:19 AM

i've read a lot and know from a little experience that you should try different sounding calls because the turkeys aint all that dumb and may become immune to factory calls. so try mouth calls or look for someone who makes calls.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

When it comes to those stubron call shy toms , try diffrent tones of calling they respone to a soft sweet sound or an aggressive excited hen.
If you can the boss hen to come to you then the tom will follow her to your location a another suggestion would be the use of decoys.
If the tom sees the decoy ( feeding hen ) it might entice the tom enough to come in close for the shot , if that doesn't work then you might want to try a gobble call with a jake decoy.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

RDHunter I don't think my pm is working because I never got yours and then I sent some out and nevre got any read reciepts on them. I saw on the other thread you said you had sent one. Feel free to use my e-mail.

Quick Reply: Call shy turkeys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.