Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why do you use a rangefinder? >

Why do you use a rangefinder?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you use a rangefinder?

Old 04-18-2007, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Why do you use a rangefinder?

I didn't want to ask on the other thread.....so I thought I'd ask here.

First off....if you're hunting out west (elk, mulies, pronghorn, etc...)...I FULLY understand why you would use one....and commend you for doing so.

My question is really for the whitetail hunter that hunts wooded areas. If your bow has a big drop from 20 to 30 yds......I can see it being utilized for "peace of mind". I, again, comend you for your forethought. But it "seems" (based on all the 'how fast is your bow' threads) that most of us are shooting rigs that have little 'drop' in 30 yds. I know I shoot top pin to that distance....and I'm sure some of you do, too.

If I have to guess as to whether a shot is too far to take......I've learned that it IS. If I can't tell they're inside 30 yds or not.....I'm not shooting (PERSONAL choice.....NOT saying YOU shouldn't).

I know it's an unpopular stance, "probably".....but I think the range finder for MY purposes is overrated.

Am I wrong?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why do you use a rangefinder?

Jeff, I agree. I have a Nikon 440 and I only use it to pre check certain marks (trees usually)for referance at some stand sites on occasion. It basicly goes unused. It was a present to me, I wouldn't have bought one on my own for whitetail hunting.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Confidence , it can only help to know the exact yardage.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know how far i can shoot and i know how it looks so i am my own rangefinder
Old 04-18-2007, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

This could get interesting.

I only took and used a rangefinder out west and that was just hitting some markers when I set up.

Back home I know what my killing radius is and a rangefinder is pointless for me in 99% of my setups.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Ladies and gentlemen......

I'm not singling rybo out for ANY other reason than to prove 2 points:

1 - rybo is a good example of why we ALL pose questions like this. "I" want to know what the people who are SUCCESSFUL are doing. "I" hope I can learn from their example(s).

2 - If I'm not mistaken........rybo's in the high 20's in kills.....and he's NEVER missed OR wounded an animal he didn't recover. THAT THERE is something I keep thinking about all the time.....it's commendable.....and it's the most prolific claim to fame I've ever heard in hunting. period.

Thanks for your input, Rybo. Your reulsts speak for themselves....and your methods work, FOR YOU.

I agree.....this "could" get interesting, though.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

I don't like to guess.
In certain instances I will shoot out to 50 yds. There is simply to much room for error with such shots NOT to be spot on with the yardage.
I have learned this the hard way . The difference of where my arrow hits at 35 yds. opposed to 42 yds. is the difference between a killing shot and a miss.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

For the record NY.....if I thought my killing radius was 50 yds....I'd use one MORE, too.

No wrong answer. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have my rangefinder EVERYTIME I go into the woods. My deer last year was exactly 18 yards when I shot it. I ranged it and then shot. Hitting right where I should have. Could I have estimated and still made a good hit. Probably, but with technology, why even enter "chance" into the equation.
Perhaps if you hunt the same stand you can becoome comfortable with known distances. But if you move or set-up differently with a climber, why not take the few seconds to hit a few lanes with the rangefinder? Jeff as a golfer you know that as a rule, people are not that good at estimating yardages.
Now the seaon has progressed and the leaves are falling, suddenly everything "opens up" and looks closer. That rutting bruiser is heading your way. Is he 28 yards oris he 35 yards?? You are gonna aim a touch low in case he ducks the string. Which pin you shooting? 1 may result in a miss.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

You know GR8.....you make valid points.

I made a BIG mistake on a buck, last year, that had nothing to do with yardage perception, though. At that time....I'd never taken a whitetail deer. I carried my rangefinder in with me EVERY TIME, then. I STILL use it sometimes, now.....if I'm going into an area that I haven't hunted much.

But....I recovered from that incident to shoot 5. The last buck I took.....I ESTIMATED at 24-27 yds. I felt confient in my equipment for that to STILL be a top-pin shot.....and I loosed my arrow. Several weeks later.....I stepped it off to 33 yds from the base of my tree. The shot was pefect, though. A HAIR low......but he didn't make it 40 yds.

I'm not suggesting ANYONE do ANYTHING they're not comfortable with.

Quick Reply: Why do you use a rangefinder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.