Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long Range goals...... >

Long Range goals......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Range goals......

Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Long Range goals......

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've found my long range goals in hunting have changed. What started out as a quest to see if I was capable of getting close enough to "A" deer to make it happen......has evolved, greatly.

I conquered that part. I then moved to wanting to take the best deer in my woods....or AT LEAST put myself "in the arena" of attempting to take one of these animals. Did that.

I NOW find my goals (short and long term) changing quite frequently. After talks with my wildlife biologist (something I urge everyone to think about)....my goals have turned to the betterment of the herd I hunt......for the long term. Getting "A" deer, to ME, isn't of great importance, anymore. I want to have a healthy, content herd to hunt for years to come. I'm not even talking about "QAM". I'm talking overall health of the ENTIRE herd. I think the quality of the bucks will take care of itself.

I hear VERY conflicting stories when I sit down with neighboring land owners/lease holders/hunters. I saw a TON of does, this past year. A friend who leases land near me only hunted there a few times. He saw 46 deer in those sits......38 of which were bucks. he took ZERO deer off this tract (120 acres). Another neighbor saw a lot of does, too. He took ZERO bucks off the property.

I hunt about 60 acres (land I actually HUNT) that'sabuts a triangle of land that includes a "Sanctuary" of sorts (parks system) of about 200 acres. The total triangle encompasses 700 or so acres. I know all the guys who hunt these grounds LEGALLY. We're a close-knit bunch.....and we all have similar outlooks. We're lucky in that regard.

I've got my eye on ONE buck that I have a history with. Besides him......I'm likely not to target a buck, this season (never say never, though.....there are bucks that likely grow old and die in these 700 acres that are NEVER seen by a man). Does will fall to all of us, in numbers, though. Our biologist thinks I could take as many as 18 off these properties without affecting deer sightings, too much.

Do you guys do an assessment like this each year? I know some of you aren't lucky enough to be in this type situation, but I'm wondering if you go into each season with "A" game plan (no pun intended).

It would be nice to revisit this thread at the end of our seasons to see how we managed our "game plans".

Thoughts?
Absolutely .... every hunting season, mystrategyis a result of a mental evolution that has taken place since the previous season........ is there a buck that has my attention from last season .... is there one from summer scouting ..... beginning season .... I have plans today for the upcoming season that will inevitablychange as I compile info from various resources. Neat thought Jeff .....
Old 04-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless something drastic changes in the places I have to hunt, my goals (for deer) will probably remain to shoot as many does as I can, and take a mature buck. And hopefully to eventually take a 150+ buck in PA with my bow.

Now as far as long range goals for hunting in general go, I hope to take a trip west for elk at least every other year, continue to add new species to the list of those I've hunted for and do my best to maintain a good image of hunters.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

My goal is toget a shot at aB&C buck with my bow some day.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

My main goal will never change, put meat in the freezer!!!!! I started to upgrade my property with helping the herd year round with proper food and nutrition!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 PM

my goal for now is to bag a buck with my bow. i will shoot a doe or two this coming up season, passed on them this past season and now i regret it. and when i say buck i mean a shooter. around 115 on the low side, though it would be difficult for me to pass a 100 8 point uup if i have my bow in hand.

long term is definitely hunt different animals. elk, mulies, speed goats, alligator, wild boar, world slam of turkey, moose, black bear, grizzly, and eventually a african safari. and the list goes on, im still very young in the scheme of things, so hopefully i can make things happen as i get older.

myy graduation trip for high school will be either a muile/antelope combo or a elk hunt out west somewhere. two years away and im already drooling. ill prob get to knock down a hog or two this summer if the plan doesnt fall apart for a possible georgia trip.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Breathe in...
Breath out...
Repeat for as long as possible.

That's my plan.

My goal? To execute my plan in the woods as much as possible.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

How many deer are in that pile?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Interesting topic to revisit.

I got absolutely berated by a fellow forum member for stating that I had a season many would love to claim. It's got NOTHING to do with numbers of deer taken (why I made that statement). It's got everything to do with meeting one's goals.

If your season's over......How'd you do?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Bartender

This is what its all about, WOW!
ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: atlasman

How many deer are in that pile?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

My goals have changed, especially my long term goals over the years.

Today my long term goals are to stay active in the NASP program along with taking at least a student or two a year hunting that otherwise would not have the opportunty. Did that with over 300 students again this year. Teaching them outdoor skills and archery within our PE department and "Flex" classes. My "flex class"was Outdoor Ed.

Personal for hunting. I will keep this short and sweet. Hunt only the mature animals in my areas. Let the young grow up. I wanted to kill two mature bucks4.5 or older this year with my bow,one down one to go.

Continue to work with habitat enhancement and landowners. I have two different jobs lined up for my summer business with private land owners.

Being asked to come on board with RUTJUNKIE has definately made me re-think and possibly reprioritize my 08 hunting goals. Getting hunts on film whether it be bow, rifle, muzzle or short range..with my wife and kids.. and or family.. getting a camera person or persons to film.. Lots of work there to do for me.

Quick Reply: Long Range goals......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.