HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Scent-Lok Science Site (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/188207-scent-lok-science-site.html)

PABuck_HNTR 04-13-2007 06:55 PM

RE: Scent-Lok Science Site

Good Info! Thanks for posting the video.

archer58 04-13-2007 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Just on the surface I see nothing different here. Scent Lok "HIRED"... "HIRED"(you know they paid them) to come up with a video showing their stuff works. They haven't changed the product... just the PR team. LOL I got too much to do also.LOL[8D]
If it will make you feel any better. You can pay the labs to do the testing.

C'mon, who do you think is going to pay them ? they hired them. Or do you trust myth busters for your scientific information? I want to see their PhD's.

I don't see how anyone could ask for any more scientific proof.
And did you hear the second scientist say it does not take as high a temperature to remove ORGANIC (human) molecules as it does chemical molecules from carbon. Hence, the household dryer temps. being effective at removing trapped human scent.

atlasman 04-13-2007 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: archer58

C'mon, who do you think is going to pay them ? they hired them. Or do you trust myth busters for your scientific information?
I don't know if you are trying to be funny but I can ASSURE you that ANYTIME a company (big or small) is paying the bills it is considered a SERIOUS bias against the results.

I am part of the peer review process for major journals including JAMA........and when I see someone dismiss this sort of thing as meaningless it makes it crystal clear that you know nothing about the scientific process...........so you probably shouldn't poke fun at others for something you have no knowledge of yourself and are just being a parrot for a company you sell product for.

Just wanted to point that out.

archer58 04-13-2007 09:46 PM

Atlas,
Point well taken.
But seriously, who else is going to pay to have the test done except the company that is being questioned?
I've heard it said that Scent-Lok should not commission the testing?
If not, then who?
By the way, I don't work for SL. I do sell the product, as well asmost otherarchery manufacturer's.

mobow 04-13-2007 10:23 PM

What I know for sure is science can prove, or disprove pretty much anything it wants......I don't wish to get into a religious war, and won't, but take evolution/creation.......They can both "prove" their points....Shoot, time travel is possible, in theory.....So, I guess the REAL "proof" is if it works, honestly. Now, there's a problem w/ that as well, because if someone wants to believe something works, it WILL, and vice versa....

I bought a scentlok suit 2 seasons ago, and used it......I wanted nothing more than to believe that it works......I'm not going to say it doesn't do at least a little of what it is said to, because again, I can't prove or disprove it.....But what I know FOR SURE is that I didn't see any more or less deer that season than any other. Now, it stands to reason if it worked as advertised, I would have seen more, right? I mean, I hunt the wind, all that good stuff, but deer are deer and we can't always predict when and where they will come from. I had more deer down wind of me last season than I care to admit, and TO MY KNOWLEDGE I was never winded...That's not saying a deer out of sight didn't bust me w/out my knowing, but I had quite a few of them directly down wind and never alerted, not even a little bit....In fact, I shot 2 of them, one at a mere 12 yards, from the ground.....I was NOT wearing scent lok.....

I emailed asking for a copy, and I am going to view it earnestly, with an open mind.....But after last season, it's gonna be pretty darn difficult to convince me to spend that kind of money.......

atlasman 04-13-2007 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: archer58

Atlas,
Point well taken.
But seriously, who else is going to pay to have the test done except the company that is being questioned?

That is besides the point..........I was simply trying to tell you that poking fun at someone else for not knowing science is inappropriate when you have no clue yourself. That's all I was saying.

I've heard it said that Scent-Lok should not commission the testing?
If not, then who?
Again you fail to comprehend the importance of independent testing. If you don't think that paying the bills can not influence the results then you are very mistaken................not saying that happened here, just that it must be considered.

atlasman 04-13-2007 10:41 PM

Nick,

I watched your video and first of all I have to say that I was really disappointed in it's infomercial feeling and appearence. I understand that this is being used to sell product but I have to be honest when I tell you that cheesey video was a lot more Ron Popeil then it was science......but like I said Ron sells a lot of goods and I realize that is what you want to do as well. I wouldn't have gone in that direction if I was trying to show a serious legit science presentation. Just an honest opinion.

Couple of questions

Were Anderson and Eichorn paid for their participation in your video?

Why does Anderson reference Brownian motion when it does not apply?

Was the lab hood a horizontal or vertical flow model?

Why was the fact that one of your samples actually showed MORE adsorption after the dryer not addressed?

Why wasn't the amount of carbon in the suits addressed?

Was Intertek labs fined for falsifying results?

Why did you use EMA's?

I have only watched the infomercial..........I will check the documents tomorrow.

Thanks

archer58 04-14-2007 05:10 AM

Atlas,
What I know about testing is not in question here. However, I feel you needt to know I majored in Mech. Engineering @ Gannon University. I spent countless hours in chem. & physics labs. But my background and knowledge of testing is not the question. Please, don't question my intelligence. Nuff said.

You have chossen not to believe what you watched. That's quite alright.
Manufacturer's know that they cannot convince everyone. I asked you a couple threads ago if you have ever tried SL. You have not.
Before you say that this product does not work I think you need to run your own field tests. You and I make assumptions ona product based on initial information.Our impressions are based on many factors. I've tried products that weren't worth a tinkers dam, but I made my own evaluation beforeIcondemmed it.
Make your own evaluation...try it out. If you still feel it doesn't work, send it back.

GR8atta2d 04-14-2007 07:22 AM

Nice site and Great Product, Scent-Lok G. Keep up the great work. I don't need some-one elses science or thoughts. I use your products and see them work first-hand. All the nay-sayers on the board or elsewhere will not convince me other-wise. My science happens in the field and your products have proved themselves time and time again!

TeeJay 04-14-2007 09:09 AM

Myth Busters.....That right there may be an idea;)