Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too much land to hunt??? >

Too much land to hunt???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much land to hunt???

Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Banned

Default Too much land to hunt???

With all of this talk lately about nowhere decent to hunt by other HNI'ers, leasingland, and fierce competion for hunting lands,does anybody have too many places to hunt like me?Ijust recieved a call from a guy todaythat has some premier turkey and deer ground that wants my wife and I to hunt it. Hisproperty is a 30 minute drive west of here.We went to a 50th wedding anniversary last weekend and a relative of the people want us to come down and turkey and deer hunt their place too!! They said there are lots of big toms so we will be hunting this new ground thisMonday along with another new place that we are camping on and hunting for the 1st three days of Iowas' opening turkey season Monday,Tuesday, and Wednesday. These two properties are 2 1/2 hours south of here, hence the camping instead of driving. Then I have my favorite hunting ground 15 minutes from my house along with my inlaws' timber 20 minutes away where Sarah took her buck this year. We are going to our buddies and fellow prostaffers Ron and Dianns placeon the IA/MO border the following weekend for more turkey hunting. They have some of the most beautiful 1200 acres of prestine deer/turkey land I have ever seen.Of all of these properties, we have only asked to hunt on one of them. The othersI wasapproached by the landowner years agobecausehe likesme and others think it is cool that we are a bowhunting couple. Anybody else have more places to hunt than is possible to do even if you hunted for a living?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much land to hunt???

Sounds like you got a lot of good places!

I have four pieces of property that my father-in-law owns that range from 30 acres to 500 acres. I don't know if I consider that "too much land to hunt" but it is a very good amount. Needless to say I have several options each season!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt pretty much public land only and here in WV there's quite a bit of it so in a way I know what you're talking about. It always seems like at the end of the year me and my brother are saying that there was a few places that we didn't get to hunt this year. It's a good problem to have.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Crap Don, thats like saying "If it weren't for all these gold coins in my pockets I wouldn't need a belt". J/K man.[8D]
Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

No and I don't have too much money, fun, or time off either.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

I hate living in IA except I have owned my own business for 22 years and it would suck to start over or work for someone else. The wind blows all of the damn time, the summers are humid, and our winters suck. We have no traffic though, wide open roads for motorcycling, no helmet laws, friendly people, and no gun hunting during the rut. Once whitetail season is over with, it wouldn't take much for me to get the hell out of this state and not come back again till November. Listening to all of the east coast guys especially,it sounds like getting good hunting ground is hard and then when they finally get a day off to hunt they can't, because there is no Sunday hunting where they live. I suppose it easier to get good land to hunt in a small populated state like IA.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good problem to have! I wish I had too many spots.I have about 2 "main"spots, both which are shared by other hunters. But still enough to keep busy. Leasing, tresspassers and outfitters are slowly taking their toll around here.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don, we have crappy winters, hot humid summer, coastal winds, bad traffic, ignorant city people, and our peak of the rut is usually either between seasons or when the orange army is in the woods here in the southeast PA area. We have more resident bowhunters than most other states and many of them are in this region so there is fierce competition for land, and when you do find a promising looking property and ask permission many people get offended that you want to shoot "their" deer. Oh yeah, and no Sunday hunting.

I'm not complaining, because I still get out there and do it up. If it was too bad I'd leave. But, anytime you want to trade places for a year you are more than welcome. You'll be crying for that midwest hospitality in no time.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I certainly have access to a lot of places. Most are public, that I haven't done justice too. Some I've done little more than ride through. But private land no..I could always use more!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I wish I had your problem. This year will be the first year that I've had more than one place to hunt. Two in Arkansas, one in Missouri, and two in Tennessee. (Not counting my upcoming hog hunt in Texas with txjourneyman.)

Quick Reply: Too much land to hunt???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.