Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Penetration of Rage 2 Blade Expandable? >

Penetration of Rage 2 Blade Expandable?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Penetration of Rage 2 Blade Expandable?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Penetration of Rage 2 Blade Expandable?

I just got some 100 grain Rage 2 blade expandables. They fly great. I'm kinda wondering how these might work on game larger than deer. Using a 393 grain arrow at 254 fps, would the penetration of these heads be adequate for tougher stuff like elk - or even wild boars? Thanks. Roskoe.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Default RE: Penetration of Rage 2 Blade Expandable?

i have asked a couple people that i know use them, and i want to say, dont quote me that one guy said he was shooting at 264fps and had no problem with them opening up on elk he shot this year, he just got stationed down here from colorado. but i am pretty sure that is what fps he said he was shooting
Old 04-12-2007, 01:14 PM

i read recently that for moose or elk or bear you need to be close to 65 ft lbs of kinetic energy.

there is a kinetic energy calculator on www.bowhuntinginfo.com that
says a 393 grain arrowat 254 fps = 56.31 ft lbs

Old 04-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not sure, but ive heard these things really tear a hole in em...
Old 04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

My copy of Dream Season 10 showed up a week or so ago so of course I had to pop it in and watch it the same night. The Drury crew was using the Rage expandables last year and all I can say is "WOW". Those things put some serious holes in an animal, and from what little they showed they leave amazing blood trails. I didn't see a whole lot of pass through shots on the video, but plenty of arrows that were buried up to the fletching.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

I didn't see a whole lot of pass through shots on the video
Thats interesting, I figure there would be a lot
Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time through I'll do a count and get the exact numbers, but I would say it was right around 50% pass through shots and the rest were buried to the fletching, most of the time leaving a monsterous exit wound.

Personally, I wasn't really suprised. It still takes quite a bit of energy to push that first inch and a half of "field tip" through the animal, followed by a lot of drag created by those huge blades.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, when i first read i thought you meant only a few were pass-throughs. Those Rage broadheads really tear a hole in them.A buddy of mine guides in ND and uses them and ive seen the results!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have good experience with them. We sold about 100 packages of them this last season and I killed 3x whitetails with them myself in 06'.

First thing I will say is that the blade system loses a lot less energy than traditional mechanicals which directly increases penetration. The exit holes are OK, but the beauty of these heads is the entrance holes. The entrance holes are nothing short of amazing and the blades are razor sharp.

Here is a pic of a deer's heart that I almost completely cut in half with a rage 2 blade. This deer was already shot by my buddy who was hunting about 100 yards away and came bedded down 43 yards away from me quartering away. I put another arrow in him, and with him quartering away at 43 yards I shattered multiple ribs on the close side, got lungs and heart, and exited through the shoulder blade on the opposite side passing completely through and sticking in the dirt on the other side of the animal. Amazing penetration, this was a 70lb switchback XT I was shooting the arrow out of. The entrance hole because the animal was quartering away was almost 6" long. It only went 10 yards from where I shot it.

This next pic is of a doe I shot perfectly broadside at about 20 yards or so. Same deal, complete passthrough HUGE entrance hole, good exit hole, blood trail a blind man could follow for about 50 yards to where she piled up.

I love the heads. The only improvement I would make is now I am using a rocket head rubber band and placing it around the rages blades when closed to prevent them from opening when in the quiver. They open so easily that a slight bumpcould open them when on your bow so this fixes that problem and they still open super super easy. Now you have the benefits of the RM Snyper's blade retention system and the extra cutting diameter of the Rage.

I love these heads and will continue using them for quite some time.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the arrow makes it to the other side of the animal and makes 2 holes,even if that arrow doesn't exit I consider it a pass through. IMHO

Quick Reply: Penetration of Rage 2 Blade Expandable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.