Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 All you bear hunters (black bear)....Why not NC? >

All you bear hunters (black bear)....Why not NC?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All you bear hunters (black bear)....Why not NC?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: All you bear hunters (black bear)....Why not NC?

everyone is right...its about numbers and odds. PA has some of the biggest bears killed ANYWHERE from what ive heard. the last 5yrs or so theyve taken quite a few over 600 with some in the 700-800lb range. BUT...season is short(3days most of the state and some special areas you can take them in rifle deer season) and i think they passed a bow season last year..but out of 1million hunters or so i believe the average number of bears killed a year is like 3000.

we also have take some HUGE elk....you dont see people flocking to elk hunt...the herd is only like 800 animals...and theres only roughly 50 tags alloted each season...

i did hear NC has some good bear hunting....dont know the numbers though...

thats why guys goto canada and maine etc...numbers are higher and better odds...i been in the PA woods since i could walk. ive never seen a bear. i came close...i drove one out in deer season this year...i heard it running through the thicket..but never seen it..a girl we were hunting with DID see it. id lovvvve to take one with the bow. i really wanna talk dad into a college graduation present of a spring bow hunt in canada or something...he could come rifle hunt or pistol hunt if he wanted...i want one with the bow!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT...Shush......Don't tell these guys all our secrets...NC is a terrible place to hunt...Deer are small, turkeys just getting established, during bow season the mosquitoes are terrible, coyotes are moving in, little private land to hunt,
too many dog hunters down east and No Sunday hunting...Send these guys elsewhere!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM

500#'s but how big are the skulls? Official records go by skull size and I don't have a listing by state handy. I'll stick to my own back yard for now, NC is a long way to travel for a black bear.