Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book >

"Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Atlas, out of respect for the author, I am not going to go into detail or devulge any information in the book, that is why I was vague in my 1st post. I can say this, a friend on this forum loaned me the book while I was down with my broken ankle, and I still shucked out the $$ for it at the IA Deer Classic weeks later so that I could share the book with my wife and other friends. Don even autographed it for me and you can't argue with his success on taking big mature whitetails. No wonder Peterson's Bowhunting magazine hires him to right stories for their mag regularly. Don is also one of the most down to earth, personable, friendly guys that I have ever met.
HCH that is geat advice.

I took the recommendation from Greg/MO to read the book. Some may like it, some may not. I like most of what Don said, as normal Atlas left some facts out in his review.

Hey you can take Atlas Review or Greg/MO I choose Greg for this one. I knew right where Atlas was going
Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have purcahsed and read the book and found it to be excellent.I have a very extensive library of deer hunting books and I say without reservation that this was one of the better ones.There were some parts I didn't care for or were hard to relate to given where I hunt,but there are some real gems in there and if applied cannot help to make anyone more successful.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 AM

WOW!I guess I can stop running to the mail box everyday to look for my Pulitzer Prize! ha ha

I just learned of this thread late last night and my first reaction was to try to learn something from those who did not like the book in order to improve as a writer. I dont claim to be the best writer or deer hunter and by keeping an open mind and listening to constructive criticism I feel that I can keep improving in both areas. As I read through this thread and the messages I have gotten from a few of you,it becomes obvious that "constructive criticism" is out of the question for at least one person as they seem to be driven by personal issues. I will not get into a debate with such a person as it obviously would never end and reason would be thrown out the window from the start.

I would like to say that some out-of-context quotes have been given to "prove" contradictions. I would also like to point out that the story of my 214" buck and the fiasco surrounding its recovery has sold a lot of books. Many non-deerhunters have bought the book just to read those 2 chapters. Some may think that it should not have been included but many liked it and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If I would have left it out some people would have turned that negative by saying "what is he trying to hide". It is the same situation with the fact that I raise deer. I have never shot a deer behind high fence and never intend to but had I not revealed that fact someone would be there to say "He raises deer; now we know how he kills all thos ebig bucks." Often it is a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". I just try to be open and honest and ignore those who cannot handle it or who look for the negative in everything.

I want to thank those of you who posted here in my defense. I never sought to be a celebrity with my writing but have always strived to represent the everyday hunter. I consider myself one of you and like I said in my book, God didnt make me any better than anyone else .... although he did give me the common sense to avoid some. You can click on my handle and see my real name and my email address and even my website with more contact information. I do not have to hide in shame and can be proud of who I am andwhat I stand for. I welcome any questions or comments from anyone who might have read my book. I will only ask 1 thing- if your real name and email is not listed on here then I will only respond if you will send me a PM with that info. I will answer your questions on here without passing along your information but I dont want this to turn into a endless squabble. Atlasman or anyone that I feel is representing him will simply be ignored. The rest of you will have my utmost respect until you do something to lose it. Many bigger names in this industry have advised me to stay off of internet message boards because of this kind of people but like I said, I feel that I am one of the everyday "real world" hunters and I enjoy talking with you.I am very busy trying to run a business but I will make it a point to check in here from time to time. Thank you.

Don Higgins
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Don:

Shoot me a PM with ordering instructions. Based on your above comments......I'm NOW going to order this book.

Thanks for posting.

Sincerely,
Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ouch, Damn I really have to work today. I may miss some fun

The section about the buck I just did not care, becasue I never even heard about the ordeal. It's your book do what you want andI enjoyedthe rest.

Don will anwser you back; I have emailed him a few times. Real good guy!!

Thanks Greg/MO for the recommendation

I would like to say that some out-of-context quotes have been given to "prove" contradictions.
Hmmm, seems like others have notice this trend also.

Many bigger names in this industry have advised me to stay off of internet message boards because of this kind of people
Atlas is famous
Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Don,
All of us on this forum have not seen eye to eye with Atlas on many occasions. Nothing new and if I let every arguement that I have had with Atlas get to me, I would be hiding in my basement crawl space andbe eating antidepressant meds.Look up any whisker biscuit threads and you will see what I mean.[8D]
Once again, great book and a pleasure meeting you at the Iowa Deer Classic.
Don and Sarah

Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're most certainly welcome, Germ... I have and will continue to recommend this book to all I come in contact with; I enjoyed it and meeting the man behind it that much.

I heard it said once -- and I fully concur -- that "success is nothing more than applied knowledge." Often times, it's not earth-shattering revelations that lead to someone's successes in life -- far from it. Most of the successful persons I know simply did what others wouldn't.

As long as we've been studying the whitetail deer, I don't think there's a ton of exciting, new revolutionary ways left to articulate in their pursuit. The difference with Don -- and the one thing I've taken away from my conversations with him and through reading his work -- is the word discipline. Don is disciplined enough to follow through with his own goals he sets before the season begins. For those not willing to do so, they'll never be anything more than an opportunist -- taking whatever animal comes within range. Is there anything wrong with that? Heck no -- if that's your goal. I'll fight any day for our right -- and so will Don -- to legally harvest anything that is allowable in the Wildlife Code.

But for those whostrive to become selective in the game they pursue, to become disciplined -- and yes, many feel -- to mature as a hunter, I fully recommend Don's book as an additional resource. Is it the definitive end-all to gaining wisdom, knowledge and understanding in the whitetail-hunting world? No. No one place is. It is an additional piece of the puzzle though.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

OK, Greg.....so what you're saying is.....

IF I catch 'em in between the water fountain and pile up the paddle boats against the swingsets (so they'll have to maneuver around the sandbox and come into range).......I'm an "opportunist".

Ithink I get it, now....[:-]

(I keed,....I KEED!)

Good post, Greg. I concur, wholeheartedly. To say that one is "maturing" as a whitetail deer hunter, it NEED NOT be taken in a negative lightby ANYONE. It's HIGHLY subjective....and ONLY matters in the eyes of the beholder. It's NOT a negative comment toward ANYONE else.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This really has nothing to do with the book exactly, but the deer on the barn brought it to mind... they look awesome and I know that the picture is to validate the hunting success of whoever is taking the photo. I have no problem with it whatsoever, but a lot of hunting "success" (i.e. monster bucks) is based on location. You have to be where there are monster deer to kill one. If you cannot hunt somewhere like that you will never kill a 200" deer no matter how good of a hunter you are. It is interesting that no one would buy the book of a great hunter who had a barn covered up with "lesser" deer even if they were harder to get. If you are hunting somewhere that you can pass up a dozen P&Y bucks a year, how hard is it to cover a barn with P&Y mounts? Many, many hunters cannot afford to go to Kansas, Iowa, etc for deer hunts and where they hunt may hold only a small handfull of bucks that even have the potential to be "trophies"for hundreds if not thousands of acres. Does this make them any less of a hunter? I say no. Yet everyday on here and everywhere else wejudge how good a hunter is by how big of a buck he has killed. Kind of sad really. Makes me a bit ashamed of myself.

Again, this has nothing to do with the author or anyone in particular. It is just a philisophical rant.

Edit: Look at me... I put a picture of myself with a P&Y buck to somehow try to validate myself as if that makes me a great hunter. So, obviously I am not pointing the finger out, but in.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

This really has nothing to do with the book exactly, but the deer on the barn brought it to mind... they look awesome and I know that the picture is to validate the hunting success of whoever is taking the photo. I have no problem with it whatsoever, but a lot of hunting "success" (i.e. monster bucks) is based on location. You have to be where there are monster deer to kill one. If you cannot hunt somewhere like that you will never kill a 200" deer no matter how good of a hunter you are. It is interesting that no one would buy the book of a great hunter who had a barn covered up with "lesser" deer even if they were harder to get. If you are hunting somewhere that you can pass up a dozen P&Y bucks a year, how hard is it to cover a barn with P&Y mounts? Many, many hunters cannot afford to go to Kansas, Iowa, etc for deer hunts and where they hunt may hold only a small handfull of bucks that even have the potential to be "trophies"for hundreds if not thousands of acres. Does this make them any less of a hunter? I say no. Yet everyday on here and everywhere else wejudge how good a hunter is by how big of a buck he has killed. Kind of sad really. Makes me a bit ashamed of myself.

Again, this has nothing to do with the author or anyone in particular. It is just a philisophical rant.
I second that emotion.

Quick Reply: "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.