Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Building a Target >

Building a Target

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Building a Target

Old 04-07-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Building a Target

Im buying bow soon and I need a target but I'm a bit tight for cash right now, so I'm thinking of building one, so basically I'm going to take scrap cardboard (which I have access to for free) and pstack them one on top of each other thentape it together with duct tape, how dow you think this will work?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Default RE: Building a Target

that might work, but i dont think that duct tape will compress it enough. i would recommend something like a wrachet strap or something along those lines to make the cardboard tight enough to shoot at.

i just made my own target. it was made out of carpet instead of cardboard. didnt cost me anything, carpet stores usually givescraps away for free.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

My first target was two layers of pile carpet tied over two bales of straw stacked one on top of the other. I think I paid $2.50 each for the straw and picked up the carpet for free. It lasteda good long time. I have a book that was printed in the early fifties by Popular Mechanics that has instructions for a cardboard field target. It says you cut the cardboard into strips 12-16" wide then roll it as tightly as possible. They used rope with a loop tied in one end to compress the target, but the ratchet strap idea would be even better. Use duct tape to attach each new piece of cardboard then duct tape the outside when you have the roll compressed. The nicest thing about the design was, you will wear out the center first. When it wears out you cut out the center then roll a new center and fit it in.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 AM

I used cardboard stacked 2 feet high by 13 inches deep. By using a 2x6 on top and bottom ,I would compress thecardboard by using threadedroads top and bottom . Stopped anything but was really hard to get arrows out of . Alsoo was so hard to get arrows out, my broadheads would pull the inserts out of my arrow.[:@]And target was really , really heavy.
If you can keep your target inside get a big cardbord box and fill it up with old rags and clothes. Its cheap and should work with fieldpoints
Good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Riffer

Im buying bow soon and I need a target but I'm a bit tight for cash right now, so I'm thinking of building one, so basically I'm going to take scrap cardboard (which I have access to for free) and pstack them one on top of each other thentape it together with duct tape, how dow you think this will work?
Ifyou get a burlap sack stuff it full of old clothes (remove zippers, buttons, metal snaps and such), plastic bags and so on, is a good cheap target.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

I used a feed sack or burlap bag and stuffed it with three old folded blankets.It works great.My 2 year old pulls the arrows out with ease,and it last along time with field points.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put one together with a woven plastic construction bag and an old carpet that was being removed . I work in construction and i come across this stuff all the time so my cost was $0
works great I've seen old clothes and shrink rap and they work fine as well. I come across these huge 4' x 4' woven bags that they ship rolls of insulation in i am tempted to make a huge target out of one

[/align]
Old 04-08-2007, 01:45 PM

for field points just fill a feed sack with garbage bags and foam and crap. It works pefect. For broadheads I don't have any suggestions
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 AM

put a board on top and bottom of cardboard and use a ratchet strap to compress it