Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any golfers out there.....interesting questions? >

Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any golfers out there.....interesting wuestions?

Hey Nice topic..yes I relate Archery to Golf. I guess the discipline to practice and be good is not limited to golf and archery but as someone said, most sports! However there are not 2 sports require the precise range gauging abilities as Golf and Archery. I don't mean the weekend golfer I mean the guy who works on the game at a serious level.Think of the pros..I just heard Mickleson and his caddie talk of a strong 9 iron and add 2 yards (for the wind)to the 12th at Augusta. So he's gonna hit a hard 9 and add 2 yards..from 155+/- he knows how to add 2 yards more into his swing? That is some serious Sh!t. Take my Dad for example good golfer but old school..he'd rather guesstimate the yardage..Me, I have Yardage books marked with lasered distances..and now a Sky Caddie GPS unit..and still pace off to known distances. A few yards makes a difference in golf as in Archery. I can play at scratch a few weeks or a month a year..but usually settle in some where around a 2..(my leagues adjust every week). I'm trying to get to the point where I can stay lower, longer.
Rick James once told me in the internet archery league that most good shots are release within a second or so of each other..this speaks of repetiveness and a pre-shot routine if you will.

So yes i see these and many similarities between golf and archery..but I guess it can also boil down to passions...if there's a will and the desire..you can put in the work and see positive results.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keeptrying!!!
Well unfortunately I think my "peak" competitive golf days have come and gone (as far as thoughts of playing at the PGA tour level). I'm not nearly the player I used to be when I was making a serious go of it. Other priorities.... money, family, etc... have taken over. Plus I'm an old man in golf years at that level.

I still play compeitively and beat up on people at local tournaments [8D]. To be honest with ya I dont' see myself getting as close as I was. I'm allright with that though. I own a small 9 hole golf course. I love every facet of the business. I'm leaning more and more away from playing competitive golf and leaning towards running the golf course, giving lessons, mowing fairways, etc... It's all good.

7 HC? That's pretty dang good. I'll be around a 7 in a few years maybe we can play

Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I still play compeitively and beat up on people at local tournaments [8D]. To be honest with ya I dont' see myself getting as close as I was. I'm allright with that though. I own a small 9 hole golf course. I love every facet of the business. I'm leaning more and more away from playing competitive golf and leaning towards running the golf course, giving lessons, mowing fairways, etc... It's all good.
NY.....I was elected to membership in 1994 (August). I've seen my playing days (SERIOUS competition) come and go, too. I qualified and played in my state's Mid-Am, last year. I made the cut....and finished in the middle of the field. I got home....realized how much time I was spending.......and came to the conclusion that I played about as well as I play, now. I've played 4 rounds, since that day. Not interested.

I feel the same way you do. I needed to find another passion that consumed me. Hello hunting.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Keeptrying!!!
Well unfortunately I think my "peak" competitive golf days have come and gone (as far as thoughts of playing at the PGA tour level). I'm not nearly the player I used to be when I was making a serious go of it. Other priorities.... money, family, etc... have taken over. Plus I'm an old man in golf years at that level.

7 HC? That's pretty dang good. I'll be around a 7 in a few years maybe we can play
Sure and I bet for a little cash also

What I fond to be amazing is the leap from 18 to 7 was easy, compared from trying to take a 7 to a 5, LOL I had no idea.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think another big thing when comparing golf and archery are targets!! They are both target oriented. Golf is all about hitting your ball to a specific target. Bowhunting is about hitting your target. Both have minimal allowance for misses. Both have the "aim small .... miss small" discipline. Other sports are more reactionary or hand/eye coordination and not as much emphasis on hitting a target.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Germ...

Once again...you are correct. Those last few hcp strokes are the killers.

In baseball.....there's a similar correlation. The actual differences between a 92 and a 93 mph fastball seem easy.....1mph. In reality.....the difference in hitting the two pitches is ENORMOUS.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

NY.....I was elected to membership in 1994 (August). I've seen my playing days (SERIOUS competition) come and go, too. I qualified and played in my state's Mid-Am, last year. I made the cut....and finished in the middle of the field. I got home....realized how much time I was spending.......and came to the conclusion that I played about as well as I play, now. I've played 4 rounds, since that day. Not interested.

I feel the same way you do. I needed to find another passion that consumed me. Hello hunting.
I hear ya. The problem with me is I have to be realistic about things at some point. I started out with a goal and vowed to do anything humanly possible to achieve that goal (make the tour). I tried my guts out and left nothing behind. Really gave it everything I had. However it didnt' happen for whatever reason. My game has slowly regressed over the past 4 or 5 years or so. I just can't get back to that level. At some point you have to realize you started out for a reason and as much as you hate to admit it, that's probably not going to happen. I have a hard time getting motivated when I practice nowadays. I hit shots that boggle my mind. I have too many "I used to be able to do this or that" thoughts in my head the last few years. Kind of drains your motivation. Not from lack of effort though. Time to pull the plug and move on. Look out deer!!

**Hey I still have 15 years to practice for the senior tour. Maybe there is hope afterall!!!!!!![8D]
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a hard time getting motivated when I practice nowadays. I hit shots that boggle my mind. I have too many "I used to be able to do this or that" thoughts in my head the last few years. Kind of drains your motivation. Not from lack of effort though. Time to pull the plug and move on. Look out deer!!
BINGO!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:54 PM

I played in college and that was enough to burn me out for a year or 2. The way I see it the difference between a 7 handicap and a 1-2 is short game. (Wow I am getting off topic) Yes most people have one shot shape in their bag but to only be able to fade or draw the ball can leave you in trouble if you play on courses with big trees! (basically 95% of courses in Indiana) That is the difference between archery and golf... golfers have to use creativity!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MossyOak722

I LOVE golf and I LOVE archery...but I cuss a lot less shooting my bow then I do golfing haha
hahahaaha

How true that is. Plus, I never throw my bow!!! And sometimes I spend more time in the woods for golf.

Quick Reply: Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.