Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 We are not in Kansas anymore!!! >

We are not in Kansas anymore!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

We are not in Kansas anymore!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default We are not in Kansas anymore!!!

Got back from our Kansas hunt last night after 1:00 AM. Had a great time and saw lots of birds.
I was able to take my first gobbler with a bow. It took me a while before I was able to connect. Yes I missed a few. LOL
We hunted out of Double Bull blinds and they performed flawlessly. The birds were not spooked by them at all. We have footage of hens and jakes 15 ft. from the blind! The gobblers came as close as 20 yds.
I had 10 Gobblers within thirty yds and we saw over 150 birds in 2 1/2 days.
I got my gobbler on the last morning with 3 cameras rolling. Rob to the left, Kurt from the right and my guide Denton from the blind right by my side.
Using the X rated diaphragm and fall harvest box call encouraged a response from the west of our position. He gobbled only a few times before we saw him at 75 yds. He never made a sound after that.
This bird was as cautious as our birds back here in PA. He stood behind a bush at 35 yds for about half an hour. I just pulled the arrow from the string and set the bow in its holder and Denton says here he comes!!! I thought he was kidding and quickly looked back to see him walking towards Kurt. I frantically returned the arrow to the string and put the range finder on him. He was thirty three yds and closing. He was walking from left to right and toward the trees I had previously ranged at twenty three yds. I drew as he walked but he never presented a shot. I let down and moved to another window. As I was turning on my knees my foot hit the bucket I was using as a seat and he immediately stopped and went full alert!!! I in turn started to purr, very, very softly as he was at twenty five yds. He did not spook and I picked a spot thru some small brush and sent an arrow over his back. I think it hit a small limb ever so slightly. He jumped and ran to the other side of the grove of trees previously mentioned. Denton told me twenty yds several times while I was nocking another arrow. This arrow hit the spot I was focused on. He jumped and rolled and was airborne and heading higher than I thought he should. I watched him sail over the bluff out of sight. My heart sank as I thought I had another miss to add to the chalkboard.
I exited the blind and started a search for the arrow. I found a few bloody feathers. Rob, Kurt and Denton where rewinding the tapes to see exactly where I hit the bird. Rob believed it was a solid hit and my spirits lifted a little. We started over the bluff and spread out twenty yds apart and began the search. It was a very thick hillside and I was quickly losing hope. We entered a field at the bottom and scanned the perimeter for any signs of a downed bird. I was looking in a brush row when I heard Kurt owl hoot!!! I immediately knew he had spotted my gobbler!!!! The walk to my bird was effortless as I was walking on air. My first gobbler with a bow and it turns out he is a fine specimen of the Rio Grande turkey.
Many thanks to Kurt and Denton for sticking with me after my errant arrows. Also a big thanks to Rob for helping me with my shooting.
Now I must wait till the Pa season opens for another try at the elusive wild turkey...

Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: We are not in Kansas anymore!!!

150 birds in 2 1/2 days. Holy Crapolla Batman..it's an invasion. Was it self defense? LOL. Congrats on the bird.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome man...congats! Just got done reading Robs story and looking at all the pics. Sounds like you guys had an awesome time!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man am I jealous, I have to wait till May 1st, and you saw 150 birds in 2.5 days. Is that a broom or a beard hanging or that thing?[8D] Way to put em down.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I should have said we. Meaning Rob and I together.lol
Old 04-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

150 birds in 2 1/2 days. Holy Crapolla Batman..it's an invasion. Was it self defense? LOL. Congrats on the bird.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations! That's gonna be some footage from three different angles!! Sounds like a great time!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:20 AM

congrats i have to wait till the last weekend in april
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dennis, that bird is gorgeous! Congrats to you guys!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Good to hear you had a good time!

Quick Reply: We are not in Kansas anymore!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.