Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turkey dekes.....Whatcha think? >

Turkey dekes.....Whatcha think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey dekes.....Whatcha think?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Turkey dekes.....Whatcha think?

I've got 13 days 'til my opener.......and I've always used flambeau collapsible dekes when I turkey hunted. Yesterday.....I picked up this hardcore hen (made by Widow Maker Co.).

Whatcha think?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Turkey dekes.....Whatcha think?

Another....

Old 04-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

She looks good. Is it collapsable? If not I think it may be a problem to tote around. I have always used the Flambeau dekes as well and I sometimes get frustrated with them. At times they want to try and collapse or fold up while set up on the stake. I've thought about trying inflatables this year. The one bird I got so far this season came in to a single Flambeau hen so they still work for me. Just thinking about a step up.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope. She's a solid body........and came with a backpack style carrying case. CAN'T weigh a pound, though.

I JUST read an article, last night, that gave me a GREAT idea on getting my gear to and from the field "I" hunt, though. I'm going to use a pull cart that a lot of golfers use to carry their bags when they walk. I can put the DB blind/bag (chair, inside) on it.....with my tripod in the bag. I can then put the hen on my back.....and carry my bow.

I can't think of an easier way to do it......"IF" you have easy access to your hunting areas (I do).
Old 04-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds good if you can remain stationary. I have practiced getting my blind up and down in a hurry. This may be crazy but I may try to employ, "run and gun" with a bow and a pop-up. My blind,( Yukon Tracks Dominator) will be in its pack on my back. I wonder if I can fit a Hardcore Hen in with it?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:42 AM

Looks great....I've been searching for someone that has the Widow Maker decoy with no luck. Where did you get it? Thanks....
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Dominant Buck

tx...

She's realistically "life-sized"......but I know I could ge ther in my DB bag, for sure.

I've been roosting my birds ("my" meaning....the ones I'll be hunting) for a while, now. I've got a great ambush spot picked out (found it, yesterday afternoon) that has them filing by to and from their roosting spot. I've got a chance at them (HERE) twice a day . If we go after them afoot (run and gun)......I might take another approach. I can always stick one of the other dekes in my vest.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Red Boar:

Ipicked her up at bass Pro Shops, yesterday.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to use a pull cart that a lot of golfers use to carry their bags when they walk. I can put the DB blind/bag (chair, inside) on it.....with my tripod in the bag. I can then put the hen on my back.....and carry my bow.
Holy crappola Batman, that's a lot of luggage to take on a little ole turkey hunt! LOL Are we having fun yet Daddy.[8D] I camo up and screw on my bow blind. I carry a couple collapsible decoys in my game pouch in my turkey vest along with a pair of pruning shears.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

David:

I know. I KNOW! Seems like a bunch......but if I ever get a bird with my bow....I want to have it on film. I've got a road (gravel driveway to a friend's land) that'll get me to within 250 yds of where I want to set up.....and, like I said.....I KNOW where they're going to and coming from. i can get in their way!

If I were utilizing "run and gun" tactics....I'd NEVER consider this deke. If I allow myself plenty of setup time, though......I don't think my plan is flawed. I could even leave everything in the field after a morning hunt......and go back there in the evening.

PLUS.....I'm gonna have a partner to tote 1/2 this crap, anyways, on a few occasions.

Quick Reply: Turkey dekes.....Whatcha think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.