Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 fixed blade vs mechanical >

fixed blade vs mechanical

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fixed blade vs mechanical

Old 04-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Default fixed blade vs mechanical

I use mechanical tips on my arrows but ive seen things on the outdoor channel that fixed blades are better. What do you think. And what types of stuff do you use?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: fixed blade vs mechanical

delet your post now and go to the second page and you can read the argument about it.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here we go. Anyone have a drink?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The whole concept behind Mechanical heads is they fly like your field tips. They are a product designed to compensate for improperly tuned bows, and unaligned heads to shafts. Alot of archery hunters don't understand how to make sure their equipment if properly tuned, and setup. If your equipment is perfect, most fixed blade heads will fly properly. You get less windplanning problems with field points, so quite often shooters don't realize they have a problem with their bow setup. They try a set of fixed blade broadheads, and the problem shows up. So they think the fixed blades are junk, and switch to mechanicals. Low & behold they shoot like their field tips! So they swear by them.
The original knock on mechanicals was they didn't always function properly, and wouldn't open up everytime. New designs have solved that mostly.
The next knock was at angled shots like quartering away shots. The way the blades were designed to open at impact. A side angle hit, would kick the arrow out once it made contact. This resulted in less penetration. Again most modern mechanicals have solved that.
The present concern is not getting as large of a cutting area as fixed blades. The blades only open so far, and don't give as much cutting diameter as fixed blades. Some companies are recognizing this, and making designs to get more cutting surface.
The best thing on fixed blades. You never have to be concerned about not working. Obviously some designs are better than others. But the blades are always open, and cut at all angles w/o lack of penetration concerns. Their seems to be a larger interest in cut on contact broadheads, and with good reason. They work well. Broadheads have always been about sharp clean cutting to cause lots of bleeding for a quick clean kill. So it makes sense to use a broadhead that cuts immediately on impact.
Others have concerns of hitting hard tissue,bone at first impact so perfer a head with a tip that can penetrate such hits. I've always seen this as a setup for the archer thatpulls heavier draw weights, and uses a heavier shaft arrow.
What it all boils down too is your setup, and what your looking to accomplish. Their are alot of good heads outon the market now in both fixed, and mechanical heads. Do some research, test shooting, and determine what is best for you, and your setup. After all thats a part of archery.Its a personal perference, and what works for YOU!!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i like 100 grain thunderheads...they have never let me down!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would absolutely agree that fixed is the best. This year I decided to try mechanicals and used the spitfire xp pro...now I will say I was impressed with this broadhead. 60 yards and ripped that deer open. I didn't really want to try mechanicals but I can say I was impressed with the spitfires. But I'll stick with fixed next year just to be safe.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 AM

I WILL STICK WITH MY MUZZY'S
Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always been leary of Mechanical heads. Too much left to chance for me, but man those things do some damage . My dad starting using them a few years ago and he has had decent results.

I was wondering about the ability to re-shoot them. Do the parts get all gummed up after a hit or pass-through that does not allow them to open correctly?Do they need to be cleaned really well in order to work the same way?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:08 AM

I USE GRIPREAPERS AND MUZZY I LIKE THE MECANICAL THE BEST THOUGH NEVER LOST A DEER WITH THEM OR THE MUZZY
Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM

I shoot fixed blades right now (muzzies) and my parents shoot mechanicals (spitfires) so it's what ever you feel that you are comfortable with.

Quick Reply: fixed blade vs mechanical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.