Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sitting or standing.....What do you do? >

Sitting or standing.....What do you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sitting or standing.....What do you do?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sitting or standing.....What do you do?

Pretty much the same as everyone else. Sit and stand.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I stand 95% of the time. I take an occasional sit down break. Afew minutes at a time. I also hold my bow with nocked arrow 95% of the time.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 AM

I probably sit most of the time on stand with bow on my lap. I don't want that extra movement turning to grab the bow if its hanging on a hook. I mean shucks...I already have to stand up.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair enough, duc......

But doesn't it stand to reason that MOREthings aremoving if you have your bow in your hand (that's been MY thinking)? I REALLY don't think it's a big deal.....but I have thought of this. Like I said, too......I can stand with LESS movement if I don't have to contend with my bow.

Different strokes, I guess.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Site Bouncer

I spend most of my time sitting with my bow in hand. I find that I have MUCH less movement when I'm sitting. I use my hearing and eyesight to pick up deer movement and I slowly stand to make my shot. Sometimes I get caught and have to make a shot sitting, that's ok and I have killed plenty of deer from the seated position.

I find that there is far less movement with the bow in my hand. I don't have to reach for anything, it's already there I simply attach my release (sometimes it already is attached) slowly raise then draw my bow. I never have to take my eyes off of the deer.

If I feel like standing I just stand stright up and the bow basically doesn't leave my lap. If you try this you will find that the bow will pretty much stay in it's same position because as you stand up your arm extends naturaly, keeping the bow in it's same basic position. Again I am in a perfect position to raise, draw and shoot.

The last hour of shooting light you will almost always find me standing with my bow in hand and release attached. Things can happen real fast in those last minutes of light.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sit-I have the bow on my lap 90% of the time or sitting with the end on my boot. I never stand up to shoot-don't have to-just draw when it's time. I can't remember shooting any deer from my tree stand that I was standing. I just feel it is unnecessary movement.
I have taken Black Bear, Whitetails & Wild hogsfrom as low as 8 feet.
Oh, a few Whitetail & hogs sitting on a stool on the ground too.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i split the time sitting and standing. Most of the time i take the shot standing

[/align]
Old 04-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Further clarifications:

I stand when the deer are in my vicinity......because (in MY eyes)....I'm less likely to be silohuetted when I'm standing against the tree. I also hunt out of a viper.....and the rail makes it nearly impossible for ME to take a sitting shot. If I hunted out of a different stand (and I often DO).....I'd change my tactics (again, I DO) and wouldn't hesitate to take a sitting shot.

When I hunt out of my cobra.....my bow's still hanging......but at my SITTING bow hand height.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sit most of the time as well. I usually just stay sitting for the shot as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sit most of the time, the area I hunt simply doesn't have the numbers of deer to justify standing (I usually hunt all day, or at least 4-5hrs at a time).

Quick Reply: Sitting or standing.....What do you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.