Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Back tension release while hunting? >

Back tension release while hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back tension release while hunting?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back tension release while hunting?

I was wondering how many of you use a back tension release when you are hunting? I have always used a wrist strap, trigger style release, but I want to try a back tension. I just don't like the idea of switching back and forth between releases for 3-D, paper, and hunting. I have been looking at the Carter Evolution and the Solution 3. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Back tension release while hunting?

I use the Carter Chocolate Addiction 3 finger and really like it. I suggested to Carter to make that release with a lock (to prevent bumping it off) and it will be the best of the best.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like a great set up Jerry. I think you are right about one with a lock. As a side note, how do you like your HHA sight? I put one on this year and I LOVE it. I can't see switching anytime soon.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

I love back tension release its the only way to go for me. I use a 3 finger Stanislawski.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm switching this year to back tension as well. I've tried the Stan Eagle 4 finger, but I'm not crazy about the trigger being on the middle finger. I've got a Carter Insatiable 2 on the way that hopefully should be at my door tonight. I have looked at the Evolution and while it is nice I would lean more toward the Solution 3 because it can be used as a thumb trigger release. You never know when you might need that trigger while hunting.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. Every little bit of info helps. I am glad to see some of you using them with success for hunting. I would really like to start using one.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM

I use a Carter thumb trigger release that I trigger using back tension, most of the time... while hunting I don't trust an actual back tension release like the Stan pictured above. While it's not ideal, the reality is that some times you need to consciously trigger the release on a critter. The thumb trigger style is a good compromise between a caliper style and the true back tension style.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a truball pinky extreme for every thing.I have never had a problem in a hunting situation.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

All the release above are great. But the only back tension releases are true back tension release like the stan shown, no trigger at all. The rest are a form of a trigger release, and you can punch them all or use back tension on all releases. Its a technique if your release has a trigger, and there are plenty of articles explaining how to use this technique. Sorry to rant but I hate nothing more then hearing "look at my new back tension release" and the guy pulls out a thumb trigger release just a pet peave I guess.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are most definitely right! I am executing a pinky trigger with back tension technique.For me it was the best blend of all considerations.

Quick Reply: Back tension release while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.