HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How were you introduced? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/186122-how-were-you-introduced.html)

Archer18 03-27-2007 10:59 AM

How were you introduced?

This question has probably been asked a few times, butI would like to know and I am sure others are interested as well.

1. How were you introduced to archery/when?
2. Your favorite game to hunt?
3. How long it took to get that first memorable kill with a bow?

I was introduced by my dad, I started shooting a bow when I was probably 6 or 7. My favorite game has to be the elusive and intelligent Rocky Mountain Elk. I was 14 I think when I shot my first bull, it was a spike, since then I haven't had another kill it's been about 5 years : (I have had oppurtunities though!

whitetailhunter01 03-27-2007 11:08 AM

RE: How were you introduced?

When I was about 8...target shooting with my dad.
Whitetail
Still waiting.:eek:

GMMAT 03-27-2007 11:09 AM

I began when I was a kid.......buying arrows at the hardware store and making my "bows" out of pine boughs that I would notch and "string" with nylon rope. I later shot a recurve that my dad had.....but never took it seriously....and never shot at an animal. I bought my first compound in 2005.....after buying my son a bow and seeing how much fun he was having shooting it. I never dreamed I would become so interested.

2. Your favorite game to hunt? Whitetail deer......but that MAY change when I get a chance to arrow a gobbler!

3. How long it took to get that first memorable kill with a bow? I went on my first whitetail hunt in October (late) of '05. I took one shot, that year......and took my first deer on 9/30 of '06.

HuntingBry 03-27-2007 12:03 PM

I love these threads. It's great to see how our fellow hunters got started.

I had shot guns since I was 8 and had shot a bow in cub scouts. I started hunting when I was 12, but it wasn't until a school friend who worked in a local pro shop called me to tell me someone was selling a left handed bow. I bought it and shot all summer with it and went bowhunting the first time that fall. That was 1989.

Without question whitetails. I want to hunt elk, muleys, pronghorn, caribou, bear, and have taken a hog with the bow, but I love to chase whitetails.

There was quite a learning curve and a few close calls for me along with a couple of misses.[:@] My first deer with a bow was taken in 1993. It was a button buck that I took with a 20 yard double lung shot and he piled up within40 yards. I remember feeling so excited that I thought I was going to fall out of the tree. There are a few things in my life that I will always regard as great moments and that was one of them.

Keep the posts coming!

GR8atta2d 03-27-2007 12:53 PM

2003 Just wanted more of a challenge..I've taken many Deer with Gun and Muzzleloader and it was getting too "easy".

WhiteTail Bucks of the Wall-Hanging Variety

Same year I started, 2003 got the first Deer I shot at, an 8 Point..also won 1st place on my Indoor League shooting Bowhunter C Class..Had never even shot paper up till the start of that league.

I'm done blowing my own horn now...But I'm proud of my early accomplishments. I see so many who take years to get confidence or the first kill. It came pretty easy for me. I was a Hunter and knew how to do all the proper things (scout, stand placement, shot placement..etc) Only the tool was different and I picked it up quickly.

GMMAT 03-27-2007 01:10 PM

I'm done blowing my own horn now...But I'm proud of my early accomplishments. I see so many who take years to get confidence or the first kill. It came pretty easy for me. I was a Hunter and knew how to do all the proper things (scout, stand placement, shot placement..etc) Only the tool was different and I picked it up quickly.
GR8:

We've been down similar roads. While I respect the whitetail deer a LOT......I've been hunting all my life.....and this isn't exactly rocket science. I'm glad to hear someone else has had a similar path. I've done a LOT of things wrong.....but a few things right.

Congrats. I didn't know you'd only been at it a few years.

uncballers45 03-27-2007 01:16 PM

oh boy i got my first recurve at probably 8 or so. but i didnt like it that much at the time. i moved when i was 13 or so and for christmas 2 years ago i got a compound and started to really get back into it. i started shooting it right away even when it was 0 degress outside. i basically learned everything by myself.

whitetail deer for now. i havnt really tried anything else except squirrels.

my first hunting season. this last fall was the first with a bow and i ended up getting a shot off at a doe about 20 yards away. double lung shot, only went about 30 yards or so.

PreacherTony 03-27-2007 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Archer18

This question has probably been asked a few times, butI would like to know and I am sure others are interested as well.

My dad ..... age 12

Whitetail

4 years.... big doe 10 yards away, with my younger brother sitting at the base of the tree I was in ... pretty cool ;)

shed33 03-27-2007 01:28 PM

I remember hunting chuckar with my dad at 5 years old....

archery with dad when I was big enough to keep up with him when he archery elk hunted..so i'd say 7 or 8 ... I remember those first bulls I heard bugle up close.. whew..talk about nearly soil my britches...

first memorable kill in my teens was a cow elk...with a bow

my favorite.. whitetail bucks.. with a bow... elk are real cool too..

GooseHunter Jr. 03-27-2007 01:43 PM

Last year a guy here at worked asked me if I wanted to go bow hunting...so I bought a bow and know I am hooked.