Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How were you introduced? >

How were you introduced?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How were you introduced?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 AM

Default RE: How were you introduced?

1. How were you introduced to archery/when?
In 1994 decided i wanted a bow played with it 4 a season lost intrest had no friends into hunting with bows,
In 1999had my bow set up correctly started using a release ,kisser button, asking alot of questions

2. Your favorite game to hunt?
deer and bear

3. How long it took to get that first memorable kill with a bow?
funny in 1999 the year i pick my bow back upand practice and practice,it happen that opening day around 1.00

Old 03-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

I got myself into it. Chatting with my buddy in his garage and saw an old bow on his shelf. I borrowed it (1999), bought a new one in 2000. Shot my first(Big doe) in 2001. Watched her fall within 40 yrds! Thats all it took, I was feak'n hooked[8D]

Whitetail is all I ever hunted, love it!!!

Practiced in 1999, new bow in 2000, found a place to hunt in 2001...My first kill!
Just wish I was introduced to bowhunting when I was younger....sure missed out on alot of grewat memories
Still plenty of time to make more though
crutch

Old 03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was introduced to archery when I was about 6 I think. I use to go in the back yard with my Bear sunbear compound bow and shoot with my dad. He also let me go deer hunting with him and let me shoot at squirels with my bow. By far my favorite game to hunt is white tail deer, I started hunting for deer when I was 10 and shot my first one when I was 13. It was an 8 pointer.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. My dad taught me to shoot a long bow at the age of 4(1993)
2. Whitetail, followed by turkey, and hopefully one day elk.
3. My first memorable kill was my first kill ever. After missing a spike at 15 yds, I was able to kill a 3 ptr. at 10 yrds w/ a perfect double lung shot an hour later. However the best part was the fact that my dad was in the tree right next to me.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

1982 when I decided it was no fun with a long gun,also self taught for the most part.
Whitetail...
Hasnt happend yet in 23 yrs of bowhunting.......
Missed one yr(96) due to surgery......and have to have neck surgery again in june......[:@].
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM

1. How were you introduced to archery/when?
1. I was introduced about the age of7 to target shooting with a fiberglass longbow. Used that same bow to hunt squirrels at 8. Hunted big game with a hand me down compound at around 14.

2. Elk & Deer

3. First kill was a mule deer doe at age 14. My firstexperience I'd rather forgetwas a cow elk I fowl shot and lost at age 16 (I almost gave up archery hunting then). Most memorable bow kill was a 60yard double lung shot on a beautiful Alaskan caribou in '04'.

I'm 36...
Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

1. How were you introduced to archery/when? As a teenager I used to pick my cousins fiberglass recurve up and shoot around the farm. No one was around to teach me the ins and outs of archery so I just kept shooting. I realized early on I wanted to hunt this way and did for small game and armed with field tips I wanted to shoot a deer. Luckily I didn't. I started to read magazines, Bowhunter mag to be specific and wanted a compound for my 15th birthday which I received and took my archery experience from that day forward. Now 25 plus years later I've had an amazing life in archery.

Whitetail deer will always be at the top of many lists including mine however, I've had the priveledge to hunt bull elk in the mountains of Wyoming and wish, really wish I could do it every year. They are an amazing animal to match up against armed with a bow. Couple that with my new found excitement of hunting turkeys successfully with a bow. To manage my year perfectly it would be turkeys in the spring, elk in Sept and whitetails throughout the rut. That would be perfect.

I was in my early 20's when I recovered my first whitetail. It was a doe and I remember that hunt vividly. My first elk came in 97, a bear in 98 and now my first turkey with a bow in 07. I remember each animal I've taken with a bow over the last 25 years. To pin one down as the most memorable would be difficult.

Nice thread.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Started when I was six shooting a little compound bow in my backyard in wauwatosa wisconsin.

First hunted with a bow at 13 couldnt pull back enough poundage at 12. Got my first deer a doe with bow at 14. Intentional spine shot was 10 yards going down a hill towards me aimed for the spine between the shoulder blades knowingif I was right or left would still go through the vitals hit the spine dropped in its tracks finished it off. (best tracking job to date).

Favorite animal to bowhunt so far would be whitetails. Something new and exciting every day. (cant wait to have more money to do an alaskan moose hunt with bow. Life goal)
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM

1. i honestly got started on my own. my dad or relatives had never shot or owned a bow before, and all my dad did was gun hunt for deer. he got me started gun hunting for deer and squirrel, and i evolved on my own from there. ive learned everything i know about bowhunting and turkey hunting all on my own either through experience or reading. i havent really had a teacher, just picked up tips and skills here and there. i actually just asked my dad for my first bow for christmas 4 years ago. i think he is still kind of skeptical about hunting with a bow, he doesnt really understand why i wouldnt just hunt with a gun.

2. my favorite animal to hunt is by far the turkey, but since this is bowhunting, i gotta say whitetail deer.

3. im actually still waiting to get my first deer with my bow. not that i couldnt have killed a deer before, ive passed on countless does and small bucks, waiting for a good mature shooter buck. i know they are in the area but seeing one with a weapon in your hand is nearly impossible it seems like lol. hopefully this year is my year for bowhunting, i know ill take a doe or two, but im praying for that buck.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I was introduced by a little sleeze ball that I never did like. I was just back from my second tour in Vietnam. He had my wife and I over for dinner one night.(I worked with him). He had a bow and pulled it out. I shot it and was hooked. I had played with bows as a kid but more as an after thought. For example, my dad spent weeks making a bow for my sister and not for one of us 4 boys, he bought us bullets. Anyway, he took me to an archery shop, I bought a Damon Howitt recurve, arrows and target and was set. Shot a nice little buck the last 10 minutes oflight onthe last day of the season.

Quick Reply: How were you introduced?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.