HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Cut on Contact? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/185663-cut-contact.html)

ahunter55 03-23-2007 08:52 AM

RE: Cut on Contact?

I just use Rocky Mountain 3 Blade Ironheads & know they have taken down good Whitetails, tough wild hogs, Elk & a 1000# Buffalo.
Complete pentration is what I like & that's what I have been getting out of 60# Darton & 2216# Eastons.
Are you looking for a hunting set up or a "SPEED" set up for Tournament shooting?
When I used to toury shoot it was "ALL" speed, flat shooting. When it comes to hunting I go for more weight & give up the speed.

Wheatley 03-23-2007 09:26 AM

My wife uses the 85 grain magnus stingers and they are a great broadhead.

MOTOWNHONKEY 03-23-2007 09:34 AM

The G5 Montecs you mentioned are hard to sharpen. The new G5 Srtikers are extremely sharp out of the box. I used them last season for Deer, and Turkey. They worked flawless. Some don't think there is a difference between a cut on contact head and a chisel point head. I know different from hyde test. Try the Strikers, I think you will really like them. Chris

shed33 03-23-2007 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Some don't think there is a difference between a cut on contact head and a chisel point head. I know different from hyde test. Try the Strikers, I think you will really like them. Chris
I hear that, I am still waiting on the hide test they do with broadheads and bull elk hide caked with an inch or two of mud after he's wallowed for days... ;)

GMMAT 03-23-2007 10:49 AM

I hear that, I am still waiting on the hide test they do with broadheads and bull elk hide caked with an inch or two of mud after he's wallowed for days... ;)
Or the one where they put something behind the hide......say to act like a rib cage;). The testcited (hide) reminds me of trying to pound a nail into a 1/2" sheet of plywood......with the endsof the plywood on saw horses. Now put something solid under the center.....and drive that same nail. If you putsomething solid under that hide.....(say.....to act like a ribcage??)......the test would be more realistic.As tested, though.....Ilend it NO credence.

I'm thinking a spoon shot at 300fps would puncture that hide.

MOTOWNHONKEY 03-23-2007 11:56 AM

Hunt with a damn spoon then.

SRBowman 03-23-2007 12:00 PM

Isn't cutting on contact what a broadhead is suppose to do????? i have never understood those.

GMMAT 03-23-2007 12:08 PM

Hunt with a damn spoon then.
LOL......It's anopinion.....and a figure of speech('course....you knew that).

I just think the "cut on contact" aspect is WAYYY overrated....especially when you're pushing the FPS today's bows are. It's just an opinion.

rybohunter 03-23-2007 12:23 PM

Nothing is overrated when it comes to penetration in archery hunting. You never know when something goes wrong and you need all the help you can get, to get that head as deep as possible.
Besides without knowing what the guys setup is, how can you dismiss his concern and tell him what is good for him?

GMMAT 03-23-2007 12:25 PM

I didn't dismiss his concern, Rybo. I stated an opinion on "cut on contact" heads. If he's shooting low poundage or a lighter arrow.....then he needs to make a conscious, educated decision.

I was hoping to elicit a response as to why he didn't like "hole punchers" (because I sensed a negative connotation).