Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting? >

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Default 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

One of the members of our hunting group is a youth hunter; and is going to try shooting a 45 lb. bow this fall for elk. What arrow weight and what broadhead would you recommend for shooting inside of 40 yards - for a bow of this pull weight. I'm advising a cut-on-contact head (G5 Montec) and a properly spined(Easton 500) arrow of about 400 grains total weight. Others are saying expandable. Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM

Default RE: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

I don't know who would be telling you expandable... I don't think a 45 lb. bow would generate adequate KE to deploy the blades on such a large animal.

Stick with a heavier arrow and a good cut on contact head and he'll be fine. I'd keep the shots as close as possible, too.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM

I agree on the cut on contact head. With only shooting 45lbs. I would be afraid of using the expandables, I would want to get as much penetration as possible. Alot of people like the magnus stringers, I have never used them I just know that guys seem to really like them. I prefer muzzy and am sure they could do the job very well evn though they are not a cut on contact style head.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM

I'd say no on the expandable. A good cut on contact broadhead.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:45 PM

I shot this 1200 lb. Elk with my 40 lb.BowTech Equalizer at just about 20 yards. Easton 500 Carbon Excel arrow, wght: 7.3, and a 75 grain Muzzy broadhead. All it took was one arrow (double-lunged him). Shot placement is really the MOST important.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: AnnaMarie

I shot this 1200 lb. Elk with my 40 lb.BowTech Equalizer at just about 20 yards. Easton 500 Carbon Excel arrow, wght: 7.3, and a 75 grain Muzzy broadhead. All it took was one arrow (double-lunged him). Shot placement is really the MOST important.

Now that is one nice elk!! good job!

and for the broadhead, i would stick with a cut on contact like others said...let us know how it goes also!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Enough said AnnaMarie........That's a beautiful bull. I'm a big muzzy fan, and wouldn't suggest an expandible. Any reputablefixedblade broad head in the vitals at 20 yds will do the trick.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

get the fred bear tip and youll be fine!! or muzzy
Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 PM

''MONSTER''bull!!! but on broadheads with a small bow use 2 blades its the only way to go I had a raffle at sprorting show where we brought a kid to this field and he had a two blade about 40 ib bow it made full penetetration but I am almost 100% sure that by fall he can pull 55 ibs back if he shoots a lot!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the input. Are the majority of you of the opinion that the Muzzy will penetrate (on elk) as well as the G5 Montec? I personally have a lot of confidence in the Muzzy,but will be trying the Montec this season. They just fly better out of my bow. But I also understood that the Muzzy is not really a COC head, and that the Montec is a better penetrator - particularly in a low poundage bow.

Anna Marie: Did you get a pass though on that 1200 pound elk shot with the 75 grain Muzzy? I'm looking at the charts . . . your total arrow weight appears to be around 325 grains. Thx. Roskoe

Quick Reply: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.