Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Waxage

Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 PM

Default String Waxage

How often should bow strings be waxed???? I shoot 1-3 times a week, and I never know how often I should be waxing them. I have asked the guys at the bowshop, and they told me like once a month....is this accurate????
Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Waxage

It all depends on how much your shoot, I try and do mine about every third or fourth time I shoot. You can always just feel your string and once is starts to loose that tacky feel from the wax, should probably wax it.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:48 PM

every time you shoot it to get best string life
Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

I asked the same question at the shop Iuse and got the same reply as what BHB gave. Try to after every time, it can't hurt. That way if you don't get to it occasionally it's still not being neglected.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i try to was as much as i can, Just keep my wax tube in my case, usually do it before i shoot. Usually shoot bout 60 rounds...

Just feel your string if it gets a dry feeling & look, wax it.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Bullot Hole Bailey

every time you shoot it to get best string life
I have heard that waxing everytime you shoot is unnecessary, and can actually hamper string life. Reason is this...If you do wax every time and build up excess wax. When you loose the string, the wax sprays all over your riser and limbs. Now, if dirt gets into that wax, you could have problems start to arise. That said, I wax when my string looks like it needs it, then take a piece of serving wrap it around the string, and strip off the excess wax bu pulling it down the string.
Perhaps I am wrong, but I feel wax can fall under the old addage, "It can be too much of a good thing."
Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't wax your string every time you shoot unless you shoot hundreds of arrows every time you shoot. All you are doing is making the string heavier with wax build up. Wax on the outside of the string does little except keep moisture out. Wax on the inside of the string is what keeps the individual fibers lubricated.

Wax your string only as often as you see the fibers start to fuzz ever so slightly. And it doesn't take much wax.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:31 AM

I usually wax after every other trip to the range or at a bare minimum, once every 2-3 weeks. I typically shoot between 100-150 arrows per trip to the range.

Also, I have noticed that BCY tends to "soak" into the string more, rather than Bohning Xccelerator wax which tends to "sit" on top of the string.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You really don't need to wax everytime you shoot-you don't want the wax to build up on the string.When you do wax the string,get a piece of leather and rub it up and down the string.The friction will heatthe wax and work into the string fibers.Like said above-when the string feels dry or looks fuzzy,treat it.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wax mine whenever it loses it's tacky feel. I also like to press my bow slightly to take a little tension off the string when I wax it. This allows me to get the wax down to the middle string fibers.

Quick Reply: String Waxage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.