Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot the Guardian, my initial thoughts and opinions. >

Shot the Guardian, my initial thoughts and opinions.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the Guardian, my initial thoughts and opinions.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Shot the Guardian, my initial thoughts and opinions.

Hey guys,

Well, my buddy got his BowTech Guardian in a few days ago and he brought it up to my place this morning to shoot. It is a 60# with 28" draw length and it is the RealTree Hardwoods HD Green camo option.

My initial thoughts on picking the bow up was just how much detail was crafted into the riser. It honestly is a work of art and though it has been said, you just can't fully appreciate it until you hold it in your hands. I gave the bow a very stern look over and I was impressed with the craftsmenship of the bow. Everything is very well put together and the camo is stunning. There were no flaw marks at all.

The balance of this bow was amazing. It would sit on one finger that was placed under the arrow shelf. Also, the bow felt very light as far as mass weight goes. I am not sure why this is, but it felt like it should weigh just over 3 pounds. IMO, anybody who is considering the Ally over the Guardian because of weight should just pick them up and judge off that as the stats can be misleading.

We threw a rest on it and took it out to shoot a bit. I have to say that the draw cycle was different. It was very smooth but I do believe that the draw weight feels heavier than it is. The bow maxed out at 61# felt just slightly lighter than my Old Glory at 71# with the speed mods. With that being said, we were shooting outside and it was about 20 degrees out so we were bundled up pretty good. I am sure that this had some effect on how the bows draw cycle felt but I still believe that even if the temps were in the 70's the bows draw weightwould have felt heavier than it actually is.

Now for the shot. As everyone has said, this bow doesn't move after shooting. There is no jumping or handshock, it just sits dead still. My first shot through it and I knewit was something special. With that said, I did notice that there is a fair amount of string vibration, but this was a bare string bow with no stabilizer. A set of string leechs or a CSS or STS system and I honestly feel that it would be nearly impossible to tell that you shot the bow. A few years back when Mathews brought the Switchback out I was amazed at just how shock free that bow was. After shooting the Guardian I feel that it would be a fair comparison to say that a bare Guardian feels about like a Switchback with limbsavers, a STS system, and string leechs (my other buddies set-up).

We did some "tests" on how quiet this bow was and we were shocked. We decided to try and find the distance from the bow where a human couldn't hear that actually bow itself. My buddy would shoot and I would stand to his side and move back 1 yard until I couldn't hear the bow. For me, it was5 yards and the bow could not be heard at all. My buddy did this after me and he lost the sound at 5 yards as well. After this (although it may not be a good idea and I don't suggest that anybody try this) I stood about10 feetto the side of the target and my buddy shot into it from 10 yards. It was a weird experience as all you hear is wind breaking from the arrow until it slapped the target.

All in all this could possibly be the best bow I have ever held in my hand. It seems to just shine in every characteristic. But, after shooting it I have decided to keep my Old Glory for another season. Though it shines in every category over my Old Glory, I just don't feel that it is enough to loose $500 on the deal. When my buddy gets all the accessories and we set it up I will post some pics and some more finding through the chrono.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot the Guardian, my initial thoughts and opinions.

I traded my Old GLory last night for a Commander. I had shot the commander last week and was undecided, then I set one up last night, I with the accessories on it, I couldn't resist! I'm a Bowtech guy anyway, but I think Commander/Guardian are the best bows this year. Every single person has said the same thing when I've shot mine "wow, that thing is so quiet." I'm very happy with my decision and now I can't wait to hunt with it. Outdoor 3D season starts in a couple weeks, I can't wait to see how quiet it is outside.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good review.
But please don't stand 10 feet next to the target again!Are you nuts?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I know that "weird" feeling of hearing nothing but an arrow whiz by you. Although I wasn't standing next to a target, rather I was hiding behind a round bale next to the target (I a little safer if you ask me)
Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great review Buckmagnet,I'm sure she's sweet and hopefully will be my next bow .

nubo
Old 03-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Gotta love it. I got mine in last week. Hardwoods gray, with trophy ridge dropaway, and a vital bow gear pentagon sight. Pretty sweet set up. I must brag a little about the sights, they are the most awesome that i have ever tried. .19 pins coming up at an angle , just seem to float in the sight window. and incredibly bright, even in low or no light! Still trying to decide on a quiver.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

But, after shooting it I have decided to keep my Old Glory for another season. Though it shines in every category over my Old Glory, I just don't feel that it is enough to loose $500 on the deal.
Didn't you say that last year and then end up buying the Old Glory? Me thinks you will have a Commander or Guardian in your hands before too long.

I do not understand where you think you will be loosing $500 on the deal. I sold my Old Glory right after Christmas for close to $500. The Guardian/Commander are right around $700 so we would only be talking about a $200 difference....

...not that I am suggesting anything.

Thanks for the review. Your comments pretty much mirror the ones I left for the Commander over on the Technical forum after my initial setup and shooting session. I am just waiting for the correct mods to roll in before finishing the tuneup and sight-in session.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I shot the guardian last week and all I have to say is WOW! I'm a die hard Mathews fan but this bow is incredible. It's fast,forgiving, and quiet, although it's not much of a looker,but you'll get no complaints from the deer. I haven't shot the drenaline yet, but when I do the decision will be made. Anybody shot both of them?What your opinion?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice review. I was of the same opinion on the draw cycle. It is smooth, but feels much heavier than what it is. I drew a Guardian at 62# and then drew an Allegiance at 65# with smooth mods. The Guardian felt closer to 70# and the Ally like 60#. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but I'm not ready to switch.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lou-lou

I shot the guardian last week and all I have to say is WOW! I'm a die hard Mathews fan but this bow is incredible. It's fast,forgiving, and quiet, although it's not much of a looker,but you'll get no complaints from the deer. I haven't shot the drenaline yet, but when I do the decision will be made. Anybody shot both of them?What your opinion?
You'll own a Guardian if those are your two choices!

Quick Reply: Shot the Guardian, my initial thoughts and opinions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.