Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question RE: Carbon Clothing >

Question RE: Carbon Clothing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question RE: Carbon Clothing

Old 03-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Question RE: Carbon Clothing

It's really as simple as a yes or no.....

Question: If you purchase carbon activated/scent block/etc... clothing.....keep it stored away from household scents (protective container).......activate it (per the mfg's instructions).........spray down with scent elimination spray (or not...according to your own ritual with non carbon clothing)..........and play the wind..........

WILL THESE GARMENTS WORK AS WELLAS NON-CARBON GARMENTS?

Yes....or No....

So.....what we've REALLY got is......a group of people who don't want to pay extra for the "scent elim."/carbon characteristics/etc.... wanting to make those who think it "might" or even "does" feel like they got "duped".....bought Snake oil"...etc...

part 2 to the question......

WHY?

I am NOT starting this thread to argue with anyone. I think it's a legitimate question. Let's discuss why this keeps coming up.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question RE: Carbon Clothing

WILL THESE GARMENTS WORK AS WELLAS NON-CARBON GARMENTS?

In my opinion YES they will work as well as NON-Carbon Garments.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

..........and play the wind..........
There ya go.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

First part;
Since I don't own carbon clothing, I don't feel qualified to answer, or at least argue my opinion, but I'd go with yes, seems like it should work at least as well as non-carbon.

Second part;
I think it is actually peoples good nature that keeps bringing up the conflict. If you study the requirements of owning and reactivating, you almost have to feel as though it is impossible to meet the manufacturers requirements for maintenance, so you elect to stay away from it. Your good nature then makes you want to share your knowledge with others so that they're not taken advantage of. But the others may be embarrassed that they didn't look into it as far as they should and bought it, or believe the sales pitch, so the argument begins.

They sell the stuff (carbon) in a spray bottle. I can't think of an easier reactivation than that - if you feel carbon is a benefit to you.

Good post man!

See ya
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry ahead of time forthis answernot being yes or no. I use very little scent loc, carbon activated scent clothing, orany other clothing designed for scent reduction. That being said it is not because I don't believe they work but it is 100% because of cost.I'm cheap. I waituntil camo is on sale or end of the year clearance or I buyold patterns. I can usually getat least three full outfits for the price of the scent proof gear and accessories. I have always been thorough withmy personalscentand I do wash my hunting clothes with scent away detergent and use scent away spray and keep them bagged scent free. Ultimately these precautions and most importantly, playing the wind, have always worked so in my mind I can't justify spending the extra money when I amhavinggood success. If it aint broke don't fix it.
I have killed 17 deer thepast 2 seasons and countless more beforethatbut to answer your questions:

#1 YES they will, they all have decent to great patterns that are
morethan adequate for concealment.

#2 I guess this means why will they work as good as non carbon garments
and I look at it as they are providing concealmentthey just happen
to have an extra beyond concealment which isscent
reduction.

So.....what we've REALLY got is......a group of people who don't want to pay extra for the "scent elim."/carbon characteristics/etc.... wanting to make those who think it "might" or even "does" feel like they got "duped".....bought Snake oil"...etc...
I feel like this comment is a stretch. I'm cheap, I don't want to pay the extra money but if you do I am not thinking you got duped nor would I try to make anyone feel they were duped, I am thinking you bought what you liked and what appealed to you. If you like your camo and it works for you what do I care. If you want to pay the extra money and it helps you in your hunting and confidence while hunting then have it, and I hope it works for you.
EDIT
Sorry I just realized that comment was the 2nd question lead in.
So why do people do that? Because I'm right and you're wrong, my way is better than yours, you don't need that junk-I'll tell you what you need. That type of thing.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I REALLY appreciate the answers so far.....I really think this is spot-on.

It's kinda like a watch. If a guy wants to spend the extra money on a Cartier.....when a waterproof Timex will tell time just as well........where's the rub?Should it matter to anyone else whether or not the guy "bought into" the claims thatthey're "better" timepieces? If it's not YOUR money.......why do you care?If there's a claim that the expensive watch keeps time a nano-second more accurate......and the person footing the bill believes in the timepiece.....and has a pride in ownership.......where's the rub?

I just wonder wonder why people care???????

If someone came in here and said all you have to do is put these garment son.......you can store them in the dog's house until you're ready to use them......and you'll NEVER have to worry about scent control again.......I see the need to help out a fellow board member by informing them. But I think we're ALL a little smarter than THAT, here.....and I don't think that's what is going on. Hence my thread.

Have a good evening.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,

Why does it matter to you what matters to them? With all do respect, this thread sure seemed to be started for the sole purpose to diminish another thread .... you even used part of theirtitle ...
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

My scent control regimen includes:

Showering often with antimicrobial soap

keeping everything I wear clean and enclosed in an airtite container when I'm not hunting in it

At least one and often two layers of carbon clothing uncluding headnet and gloves

Rubber boots with odor eaters

Scent sheild spray applied liberally especially around the ankles of clothing and all over the boots.

No cover scents whatsoever

The result? Over the last 10 years I have had deer downwind and very closehundreds of times and have only been busted a few times by the deers nose. In each situation where I got busted, I had failed to do one or more of the above.

Carbon clothing isonly a part of an effective scent control routine but it is an important component of the whole picture IMHO

The results:

Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad own's carbon clothing from head to toe, washes it, dry's it to activate it, store's it away in rubbermaid containers, the whole nine yards. I own NONE of it except for lightweight gloves, and he hasn't seen or killed anymore deer than I have, it's all based on the wind, if your wearing the carbon, most people still play the wind, if you don't wear it, you play the wind. So IMO, it doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply: Question RE: Carbon Clothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.