Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on hunting new area >

Question on hunting new area

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on hunting new area

Old 03-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Question on hunting new area

I have an area i am interested in hunting but i do not know how to. The area consist of on the left side a 2 acre swamp all mainly 2 feet deep and on the right side a 3/4 of an acre swamp of the same depth. In between is an area that is semi dry in some areas but with any hard step down on the ground you will feel water. It looks like the deer may bed in here or use it as a travel route. Does this seem reasonable and if so how should i go about hunting this swampy area.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on hunting new area

Never hunted an area like this before...are there deer in the area for sure? I would imagine they would find some area of dry ground to bed.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM

i dont know for sure they are bedding in there but during duck season i jumped them out of their twice at about 8:30 or 9 in the morning
Old 03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like they may go there when they are under pressure.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Depending on what's on either side of the dry strip, you may have a travel route in that drier area. If you have a block of woods, or fields, or something of that nature on one side, you still may have a travel route.

The swampy areas are probably refuge areas for bucks when hunting pressure builds as bow huntert stated. I'd get a pair of waders and get in there. You will probably find a high spot or a good tree to get into.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found these area to be great places to hunt. The swamps that I use seem to be areas where the deer travel to just before dark and wait there until it is safe (dark) to go and feed, but that is most likely due to the swamp I'm referring to being in between wood/thick cover and a field that they graze in at night.
My favorite part about this area is that you can use the water to your advantage. Try to find a funnel in the swamp or a well used route. Set up a path to your stand/blind where you'll be traveling through the water. Swamp boots or hip boots will be necessary. This is a great way to not have your scent on the ground.
Good luck,
KP
Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

My bet is.....they're not bedding AND feeding there. A little scouting ....to see where they're feeding would answer your questions. Set up on that route, somewhere.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 AM

If there is swamps on both sides of that dry strip....you may have yourself a natural funnel right there! I'd set up there and see what comes meandering through.

I have seen deer swim across a lake though so I don't think 2' of water will stop them but I know that I'd rather walk where it's dry than get water in my boots any day.