Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Loop & nock sets? >

Loop & nock sets?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Loop & nock sets?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Loop & nock sets?

I've never used a string loop, but since hearing so much praise about it, I'm going to put one on. I've seen theloop installed with nock sets on the top and bottom of the nock, then the loop. I've alsoseen the loop used by it's self, served in I guess? Which is proper and or the best set up?
Also, how will it affect my anchor point (kisser), if at all? Thanks. Oh yea, I use a Hurricane release.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Default RE: Loop & nock sets?

I have just the loop, no nock sets. Some folks put a nock set above the upper knot and below the lower knot to keep the loop from moving, but if it's tied in correctly it won't anyway, so why? I've been shooting a loop w/ no nock sets for about.....2 years now and have never had a problem. You don't need to serve the loop in, either.

I've found that no nocks are better because you can now draw the way the loop is intended, directly behind the nock eliminating pinch. It shouldn't affect your kisser button at all, but it will move your release hand farther back toward your ear a little bit.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM

This is how I prefer to do mine;

Like Mobow said, it shouldn't affect yourkisser at all.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

mobo, wouldn't myrelease hand being a bit further back change the location of my anchor point, the corner of my mouth?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Same as mobowhuntr and WH. I like to keep the loop real short, just enough room for the release jaws to clear the nock.

No, because the bow stringhasn't moved.....Just your release hand. The string is still right where it was, your draw length hasn't changed a bit....if it was 29" before you put the loop on, it's 29" after you put the loop on....

ORIGINAL: early in

mobo, wouldn't myrelease hand being a bit further back change the location of my anchor point, the corner of my mouth?
Your string doesn't come back any farther than normal after you include a loop. The release is the only thing coming back any farther than what you're used to.

The string remains in the same position.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Washington Hunter's is close to how I tie mine, but you can see why I do mine a little differently from his picture.......

If you tie the bottom nock set 2/3 longer than the top it will center your release directly behind the nock itself promoting the best possible nock travel. With a standard loop or one with evenly tied nock sets your release will always pull slightly above your arrow's nock at an angle...........try it and see, your release will be sitting higher than your nock. You can clearly see this in WH's picture by looking at the pressure bend in the loop caused by his release compared to the center of the nock sets.....it's slightly higher.

I also leave just a tiny bit of air between the bottom of the nock and the bottom tied in nock set.....you don't want your nock tightly squeezed between the 2 sets.

I have bene using this style with great success in competition as well as hunting, it allows exactly consistent nock pressure and seating from shot to shot and proper release alignment. I never cared one bit for simple tied loops, serving slips and over time you can wind up with variable pressure on the nock as well as poor alignment.......I need things to be a precise as possible and don't feel I get that any other way.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great photo Dan!I seeyou have yours served, that's what I was referring to earlier. Yes, I thought the loop was to eliminate junk/nocks on the string, as well as getting directly behind the arrow?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanksfor help guys. It all makes sense. HNI is my pro shop!There isn't a day that goes by where I don't learn something on here.

Quick Reply: Loop & nock sets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.