Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
String Jumping Distances-"Boo Theory" >

String Jumping Distances-"Boo Theory"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Jumping Distances-"Boo Theory"

Old 01-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default String Jumping Distances-"Boo Theory"

I touched on this on the Max-Distance topic...but wanted to see what you guys and gals had to think about this.

After years of experience, watching 100's of deer a year, and talking back and forth with my serious hunting and shooting buddies around the country, most of us stand by the principal that a deer will jump the string under 30 yards most often. This can only be based upon personal observation and speculation, but here is the theory it is based upon.

Call it the "Boo" theory or whatever, but if you round the corner and someone yells "boo!" from a foot away-most people jump. If you round that same corner and someone from across a 20' room yells "boo!", well then you'd probably look at them like they were an idiot or something.

Apply that to deer. The deer is reacting to the sound of the bow exploding. At some point, there is a distance at which the deer will have little or no reaction to the sound of the bow. Of course, that point could obviously be 150 yards, might be 100 yards, but I think about 30-35 yards is a pretty safe range.

Again, this is based on a lot of personal observation and experience, but I think it holds some water. I'm not trying to advocate taking a longer shot, but I'd take a 35 yard shot at a feeding deer much sooner than I'd take a 15 yard shot at an alert deer that's ready to "head for the hills".

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:31 PM

Default RE: String Jumping Distances-"Boo Theory"

I think you are probably right to a point. If yu are shooting a fast set-up say 250fps or above I think you are safe from 0yards to 15yards then they will jump the string from about 16yards to 30 yards. They will jump the string at the 0-15yds but the arrow is already there.Like yourself, these are from personal experiences. I think this is an interesting topic and hope many reply.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I think your right about that 0 to 15 yard statement. There are alway exceptions, but I like to play the averages. Although I did see a Bowhunting October Whitetail Video that shows a deer totally dropping a body width at 5 yards from a 80# bow-must have been a fast bow. I still think your right though.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:38 PM

The reason a deer jumps the string is not a distance problem. The reason a deer jumps the string is because of an un-natural sound. Obviously a deer is more apt to hear a noisy bow at close range than a longer distances but the cause of the jump remains that the noise is the problem. I hunt with a longbow because of the quietness of the bow. I shoot at ranges of under 20 yards. The deer I have harvested with a longbow did not jump the string. In fact, 2 of them were killed on the second shot. No, I'm not proud of the poor shooting but the rusults indicate that the sound of the bow did not make the deer jump at close range. I'm not saying that everyone should use a longbow. I am saying that everyone should hunt with a quiet bow. Dick
Old 01-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Dick,
So you're saying if the deer hears the bow at 250 yards he'll jump and run? Don't think so. The point is that distance IS the key. Any bow going off will alert a deer, whether it's a panic-striken, ground pounding run-off is determined by how close the noise is to the deer. I'd have to agree though, a quieter bow is the way to go.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:02 PM

Northjeff,

At 35 yards, a deer doesn't have to jump the strimg. All the deer has to do is take a step in it's likely to end in a miss or hit on a non-vital area. At 15 yards, an arrow traveling 280 fps gives the deer no chance to move far enough for a well aimed arrow to miss the vitals - only about 2". Read the article by Bill Winke in Peterson's Bowhunting March edition. It explains it very clearly. Slow shooting bows at distances over 20 yards and you really have rely on luck that the deer won't inadvertently move.

I'll take that 15 yard shot everytime in the senerio you presented. In fact, I already have at least a dozen times and each time I've had a clean quick kill.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:07 PM

North Jeff,

I too agree the issue at hand as Dick stated is a noise issue, not a distance issue. A whisper at 15 yards is less intrusive than a scream at 25 yards. If all bows sounded like a buck grunt when they went off, (he he he)....the deer would probably stand at attention for us. On the other hand Jeff, lets assume "most" bows especially compounds are gonna make "some" noise when the arrow is released..then the "some" noise is going to cause a fight or flight response in the deer if the deer's "comfort zone" is violated. Of course we could argue many variables...but on the average...I would agree with you. Also, I would like to offer one more thought. I personally believe we should factor in and give credit to the animals we are hunting. For example it's my opinion from many observations that deer most definately have different personalities...they are not all created equal when it comes to survival skills....often shaped by genetics and environment...just as humans are....A yearlings comfort zone may be 10 feet from noise while an old buck that has survived the toughest of conditions when it comes to hunting pressure may jump if he hears a guy fart in his tree stand! Just my thoughts... Good Post!

IHW,
Shed

Edited by - shed1 on 01/15/2002 15:11:41
Old 01-15-2002, 02:10 PM

Let me give you a non-hunting example. While photographing deer in a field with an SLR camera, I discovered that the deer could hear the mirror flip up in my camera at over 100 yards. I was using a 400 mm telephoto lense and although he deer didn't run at the sound, they did react immeadiately and looked straight at me. The sound is metalic. After the 3rd photo the deer had had enough and left the field. I assumed you were talking about hunting distances not rifle distances. Think about this, if there isn't any noise the deer won't jump no matter how far away he is. Dick
Bounce a wood arrow off of a wood bow and then bounce an aluminum arrow off of a metal riser and listen to the difference. One is more natual than the other. I have to believe that the deer will react more to the un-natual noise than the natural noise. This is just my obsevation.

Edited by - dick4bows on 01/15/2002 15:25:35
Old 01-15-2002, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>At 15 yards, an arrow traveling 280 fps gives the deer no chance to move far enough for a well aimed arrow to miss the vitals - only about 2&quot; <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> You might want to look up the speed of sound again! Also the human factors thrown in.....if you still dont believe it, just keep shootn! sorry I disagree with that theory and publicing it for the general public as not all are capable/proficent/knowledgable in there equipment..the he said this theory applies!

I do agree with both of what you are saying in regards to its BOTH! Noise and Distance!

D4B, did you know that the lower the 'pitch' of our bows, the farther and faster it travels! I was shooting great back home before joining the service and was on a task to fill a management tag (antlerless tag). I snuck to within 8 steps of a feeding doe, she hit my shooting lane perfectly broadside. SHooting a 50lb recurve HEAVY HEAVY ash arras my bow barely made a sound and she was still able to duck it! We looked all nite (I still remember that one, it was 3am when we finally found that arrow), I couldnt believe I mmmm...mmm...MISSED! My partner shoots a PSE carbon arras pushing 240-250fps (cant remember exact numbers figuring on the low side). He also shot at a deer under 20 yards, right over the top of her back!!!

Its a tough call to make, when to shoot, and will only come in time! It will show as over time your success ratio will go up and up. (some of that is due to knowledge of game and abilities also but figure they are just a part of the hole equation).

Knowing your game and how they react is some of the best knowledge in shooting critters. That and shooting the quietest bow you can!
Old 01-15-2002, 02:32 PM

I want one of them bows that sounds like a buck grunt when shot! Just imagine, stump shooting and deer hunting at the same time! Dick

Quick Reply: String Jumping Distances-"Boo Theory"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.