Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First 3-D

Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default First 3-D

Ausie-guy called today and invited me to join the Burleson boys for a 3-D next weekend. It is 50 targets. I have never shot any kind of competition. What can I expect? Will my hunting rig work? I have pins at 20-30-40-50. I practice regularly at 30 and maybe once or twice a month at 40-50. I'm going into this with the expectation of learning. I will get my butt handed to me on a platter, so what. Its all about fun with friends and shooting my bow for a good time. However I don't want to embarass them or myself so any pointers are welcome. Thanks, Greg
Old 03-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First 3-D

Well tx .... I can tell you that your in for a fun time with your friends.
When you get there , I'm sure your friends will explane the rules of the range , just walk the course and wait for your turn.
When you approach the target , aim for the vital area just as you whould when your hunting.
Since you've been shooting at good far yardage , shooting at the target should come easy for you , just don't bring or use a range finder.
I'm sure that they'll be targets that you may needto sit or kneel , every range is diffrent and don't take to hard when your friends hurrass you a little.
It's all in good clean fun with your friends and you get some good practice in as well , good luck and have a good time.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first time you really need to address it with FUN as the main goal and not competition.

Your hunting rig will work GREAT for this.

If you are the competitive type,you may want more out of the game with more experience in it.Right now is the time to get to know it and have fun.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your hunting rig will work. It would probably be a good idea to have an arrow puller, and maybe a bar of ivory soap to lube the tips of your arrows to make them easier to pull if you don't have a lube tube. Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

You could also pick up a little card that shows the kill zones on the McKenzie targets at your local archery shop. I know when I went the first time and saw a gator target I wasn't exactly sure where the kill zones on it were at. Or you could bring binoculars with you, but not ones with a built in rangefinder. That's what you're there for is to judge distance better. Definitely bring an arrow puller. And most important have fun!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg.

I will be using my hunting bowbut will have it decked out with the long stab, CJ A.N.T.S with a Extreme 6 powerscope

Like I said on the phone we are using this shoot to see what we need to do for up coming tournies, but hey you know us and you know altho we might be competitive we are still gonna be out there havin the time of our lives and if you have trouble with yardage we will help ya out right up till you start whoopin our asses then you might get some bad info

This is just a fun shoot and we are gonna be out there havin fun

Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

You'll have a blast. We shoot 3D at our range 2-3 times a week.....and tournaments at least once a month. I shot in 2 tournaments, last year (didn't do too well ).....but I placed 2nd and 1st in the two tournaments, this year.

If you're doing it with friends......it makes it that much more fun. We have a good time every time we shoot.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll have a blast, especially if it's a smaller more local type shoot. I'm fortunate enough to have several different 3D shoots/clubs in my area and they are always a great time. Shooting with a group of friends with your hunting rigs is always fun but when you add the realistic element of the woods and realistic targets positioned naturally, ....well, you're in for a treat! The big events can be distracting with large crowds and waiting line and groups of shooters though. Best of luck to ya and let us all know how ya do and what you think of the "sport"?