Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Potential New World Record Buck >

Potential New World Record Buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Potential New World Record Buck

Old 12-09-2002, 09:52 PM

Default Potential New World Record Buck

Just got this by email tonight. Has anyone seen any pictures.

Illinois next weekend to measure a potential new world record whitetail that was taken with crossbow.

He'll score in the area of 305 with gross 328. I think he's got 34 to 38 measurable points."

That is all I know.

Host of The Missouri Sportsmen's Radio Show

www.mosportsmen.com
Old 12-10-2002, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Potential New World Record Buck

I've heard nothing.

I have seen the huge Maryland 204" gross buck and the monster KY 200" bucks but no non-typicals in the size you are talking. This does seem to be the year of huge bucks though, doesn't it ?
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-10-2002, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have not heard anything about that buck or the 204" killed in Maryland. I hunt in Maryland so I would love to see some pics of that, Anyone have any more info on that buck...??
Old 12-10-2002, 07:23 AM

My friend's nephew was checking out the deer at the check station and said there was a 30 something point nontypical killed near Bolivar, TN recently. I'm sure there will be a write up in one of the local outdoors publications, so I will keep the board posted if I hear anything else about it. There was another monster non-typical killed in the same part of the state last year.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 12-10-2002, 07:29 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard anything about it, but...World Record with whom?

Crossguns aren't allowed for P&Y, and the top two B&C non-typicals are over 310". It sounds like a heck of an animal, but how would it be a World Record?

JRW
Old 12-10-2002, 07:54 AM

The only big ones I've heard are a 240 class non typical in Ill. shot by a 16 year old boy with a shotgun. A 36 point brute taken in Kentucky. And a 237 class buck I believe was taken in MN. Most of them have pics posted on Iowadeer.com if you're interested. Nice pic on there of what they are calling 'The Iowa Walking World Record' It was still alive this last year but now we're getting reports of it being hit by a car.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know of a CROSSBOW buck taken LAST season in IL not this season. The buck has not been brought to light because the man didn't want to be bothered. He checked the buck in at Wolf Hollow Archey shop in Rome, IL. The big non-typ was taken in Fulton county by a retired CAT workerin Nov. 2001. The whitetail has been seen and admired by many. it truely is an awesom animal. The score will be over 290" NET... he seriously could go 300"+ NET. Did mention that buck was shot just a few miles down the road!!! That's not bad, also a couple years ago Bill Brown shot the former state record non-typ bowkill just a few miles away also. (250 6/8" P&Y) More of this kind of crap and people are gonna start thinking we got big deer around here or something???
Old 12-10-2002, 10:45 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

IL-Cornfed,

Is this the deer? It was pretty widely publicized.

-------------------------------------------

Record Illinois deer measures No. 2 in world: Handicapped hunter uses crossbow to get mark in Fulton Co.

By MARK TUPPER -- H&R Executive Sports Editor

It's nothing new for Tim Walmsley to get a telephone call about a big deer.So when a Peoria-area taxidermist called to say he had a new state record buck, Walmsley rolled his eyes.

"I thought, 'Yeah, sure,' " recalled Walmsley, the former Decatur man and outspoken advocate for Illinois' whitetail deer hunters. "Then when I saw it; I nearly fell over."

Walmsley was stunned recently to measure a deer that will blow away the previous record score for an Illinois buck. And, Walmsley said, this deer,which was taken last November in Fulton County, is the second largest in the world ever taken by a hunter.

The deer -- which has antlers that include 36 measurable points -- was a non-typical rack preliminarily scored by Walmsley to measure 291 1/8 inches. The deer was taken by an unnamed handicapped hunter using a crossbow.

That will disqualify the deer for recognition by Pope & Young, a Minnesota-based group that measures animals taken with a bow and arrow, but it is eligible for Boone & Crockett Club recognition.

Walmsley is an official measurer for both groups.

"This deer ranks No. 4 in the world and No. 2 in the world by a hunter,"Walmsley said. "No. 1 by a hunter was a deer taken in Mississippi that measured 295. The top two deer ever measured were not killed by hunters but were both found dead."

This deer will obliterate the previous state record of 267 3/8 taken by Richard Pauli in November of 1983 in Peoria County. That deer was taken with a firearm.

"This deer will have to be verified by the Boone & Crockett panel which meets in the summer of 2004 in Kansas City," Walmsley said. "Most of the country doesn't even know about it yet. The hunter probably didn't know what he had, but he's finding out fast. He's already had to change his phone number."

Walmsley couldn't say what the record deer might be worth, but the hunter will be selling the story of his hunt and photos of the deer to the highest bidder. And that says nothing of what can be made by displaying the deer in public.

Walmsley said he spent six hours with the mounted deer.

"It took me three hours to score it and three hours to do the paper work and to decide to let him leave with it," he said. "That's probably the biggest deer I'll get to see in my life."

News of the record deer reached John Buhnerkempe, newly named Chief of the Division of Wildlife Program Development for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

"I'm sure I'll get some feedback on that one," he said. "A deer that big talks about the overall quality of our program, and we've already received a lot of national acclaim.

"But there are mixed blessings that come with that," said Buhnerkempe, a Teutopolis native. "It attracts non-residents to the state, which creates concerns about competition with residents and concerns about commercializing wildlife in our state.

"Success often has its difficult part to it."

Mark Tupper can be reached at 421-7983.

Old 12-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

funny, he has a name, he has a phone number for contact but yet heas NO FACE!

Great looking buck but dang yall need to get them OUT OF THE BACK OF TRUCKS!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

hvyhitter19 here is the link
http://forum.hunting.net/bbs/topic.a...880&FORUM_ID=3

Quick Reply: Potential New World Record Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.