Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The next time I buy a bow..... >

The next time I buy a bow.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The next time I buy a bow.....

Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default The next time I buy a bow.....

I'm admitting guilt in not doing my due diligence in trying out all the bows when I bought my new one, last December. I'm ABSOLUTELY still thrilled with my purchase.....and I have ZERO buyer's remorse.....but I had shot the Drenaline when I was looking....and the only thing I put on the bow to shoot it was my stabilizer.

Last night.....we were shooting at the range.....and a friend (he's just back from his 3rd tour in Iraq) had his decked out......and I shot it. it's a sweet bow. Period.

The reason I say this is.......the next time I go bow shopping....I'm going to put EVERYTHING on the bows before I shoot them. if you're looking.....and the shop wants your money.....they'll set 'em up for you (or....they should). It makes a difference. I know I'd still have bought the same bow......but I also know I got lucky when making this decision. I had shot one that was fully rigged, before. Everyone doesn't have that option, every time.

Tell 'em to set 'em up like you're gonna hunt with them.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The next time I buy a bow.....

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob....I sorta fibbed, though.....The NEXT time I buy a bow......it won't have "hardware".....just a stick and string
Old 02-28-2007, 07:33 AM

I agree, thats the only way I'll generally even pick up a bow at the pro-shop. The guy that runs my local shop is really cool about stuff like that. He can put about anything on the bow for you in a just a couple minutes and you can shoot it the way you like.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

I guess thats a good idea but I would honestly rather shoot a bow bare when trying one out. My reasoning is this: I like to compare bows for quietness, hand shock, vibration and feel without addons. I feel this way I get a good evaluation of the bow as it comes bare. I can add addons later after making my decision.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Guess I should have stated, Coug....that I already do that (shoot 'em somewhat bare). I've just never had it rigged fully before I bought it. I'v ebeen lucky. I honestly bought my Switchback on a friend's advice....and had NEVER shot a compound bow. I got to shoot a friend's Allegiance fully decked out before I bought one.....and I did shoot them all with only a stabilizer on them (but not a sight...my rest.....peep in the corect place....etc...etc...etc...).

I won't do that, again.

I saw a LOT of guys with new mathews, last night (probably 5)....so they're doing something right. When you get to the speeds we're ALL shooting, now....it just comes down to persoanl preference. They're all great bows.

Well....except Hoyt.

(I KEED!)
Old 02-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

You got that right. By the way, when I bought my Bowtech Patriot brand new in January of last year, I tried out a fully rigged Switchback, Switchback XT, and the Patriot was bare. Maybe that doesn't make sense.[8D]
Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree. I shot alot of bows but since I don't have any Mathews dealers close. I didn't shoot any of them..still never have. But I'll tell ya, one guys in our league shoots a switchback and it's definitely quieter than my allegiance.

But by the same token another buddy has the new short model Trykon and it's always got problems. In fact last night he found out his string needs replaced already andthe bow isnew this year. Our league shop is primarily Hoyt. 85% of the shooters there shoot Hoyts. He just bought what everyone said is the new hot bow without trying anything else. A decision he now regrets.

This isn't a knock on any manufacturer, but you certainly have to pick a bow for yourself and not follow the crowd. I will open my mind to more options next time..but again this was only my second bow and the first real upscale model..so you learn to look for more as you go along.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm going to put EVERYTHING on the bows before I shoot them.if you're looking.....and the shop wants your money.....they'll set 'em up for you (or....they should).
I am honestly sooooooooooo tired of hearing this.

Most pro shops bend over backwards for their customers as it is. You get free installation of all of your accessories, free set up and tune, many offer free range time, club memberships, etc... etc... When was the last time you purchased a starter, water pump, alternator, etc... for you car and told them if they want your business they had to install it for free?

Do you honestly think that a pro shop has the time to fully rig out every single bow that you and the rest of the world want to test shoot? Not hardly. You guys are being a little ridiculous.

Not to mention that every bow in their inventory would have a sight, stabilizer, rest, quiver, wrist sling, etc... etc... and he would be out the money for all of that inventory cause he certianly couldn't sell it as new. Then everyJoe Blow would want it rigged with different stuff cause none of them would want the same acessories on their bow.

In the shopI run everyone is welcome to shoot every single bow I have. I have a nock and a rest on all of them to compare them all, apples to apples, as they come out of the box. But I am not going to fully rig every bow I have just for the sake of test firing them.

You guys need to come down to reality.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I'm going to put EVERYTHING on the bows before I shoot them.if you're looking.....and the shop wants your money.....they'll set 'em up for you (or....they should).
I am honestly sooooooooooo tired of hearing this.

Most pro shops bend over backwards for their customers as it is. You get free installation of all of your accessories, free set up and tune, many offer free range time, club memberships, etc... etc... When was the last time you purchased a starter, water pump, alternator, etc... for you car and told them if they want your business they had to install it for free?

Do you honestly think that a pro shop has the time to fully rig out every single bow that you and the rest of the world want to test shoot? Not hardly. You guys are being a little ridiculous.

Not to mention that every bow in their inventory would have a sight, stabilizer, rest, quiver, wrist sling, etc... etc... and he would be out the money for all of that inventory cause he certianly couldn't sell it as new. Then everyJoe Blow would want it rigged with different stuff cause none of them would want the same acessories on their bow.

In the shopI run everyone is welcome to shoot every single bow I have. I have a nock and a rest on all of them to compare them all, apples to apples, as they come out of the box. But I am not going to fully rig every bow I have just for the sake of test firing them.

You guys need to come down to reality.
I'm not trying to tell you how to run your biz, but how about this. Maybe take a few of the higher end model bows that you carry and load a couple up - each with different kinds of accessories. That way, if someone wants to see how something works they might be able to test it. And heck if they want the bow with all the goodies - than charge em a a little bit of asetup fee if you want. This way you wouldnt be setting up everysingle bow in your shop, but customers would still be able to shoot a bow with something on it if they prefered. I don't know about the rest of you - but as a consumer I like to have options and I respect a biz owner who gives me options. Just a thought. Have a good one!

Quick Reply: The next time I buy a bow.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.