Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update >

MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

I know that I have seen a bunch of treads around here talking about mythbusters claim that an arrow can not be split.

Looks like Byron Ferguson is out to prove them wrong. Byron stated in an article that I read last night that he is planning an attenpt at splitting an arrow. He said he has studied the mythbuster tape and saw all of the mistakes that they made.

Byron said " I feel confident that I can do it".

Personally, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

Couldn't we put this to bed once and for all wih a hooter shooter and a good batch of shafts?

Am I missing something?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:30 AM

I remember watching that episode and just laughing becuase they couldnt get it. I'm thinking about all thte Robin Hooded arrows I've seen at the ranges and proshops, and then about how many times I've cut the fletchings off of arrows - Splitting an arrow can be done. I think the main reason they didn't do it is because they were using field points. Put a broadhead on one of those arrows and ten bucks says they get it within 25 arrows on their little jig they had set up.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe they were trying to duplicate Howard Hill's shot in Robin Hood.

Am I missing something?
Just the fact that one of the best living archers stepped up to the plate.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

No, Bob......I know who HH and BF are.

Aren't they trying to duplicate it with wooden shafts?

Couldn't they dispel or validate the myth BETTER with a machine that shoots ABSOLUTELY the same way EVERY TIME (Or do they even have one of these for trad equip.?)?

I was asking a real question.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If anyone can do Byron can , a 2 blade cut on contact , shot into a , reed , bammbo , or evenly grained wood shaft should do it , if they were useing carbon or alluminum , of coarse it would be dificult .

mythbusters , prove or disprove nothing , they are just 2 guys makeing money on a tv show , very unscientific , and science itself of late is very questionable , especialy if the fda or epa , or the big chemical companies have a hand in results

Yesterday a guy claimed to have the casket and bones of Jesus , some will do anything for publisity , I think Id of skiped that one .
Old 02-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Couldn't they dispel or validate the myth BETTER with a machine that shoots ABSOLUTELY the same way EVERY TIME (Or do they even have one of these for trad equip.?)
I believe the original show (mythbusters) set out to disprove that Howard Hill actually did not split an arrow from End to End with another arrow in the movie Robin Hood filmed in 1938. They did use a shooting machine in the original airing of the show mythbusters and used a recurve, then a compound I believe. However, as people here and Byron Ferguson have pointed out there were flaws in their test and people were probably misinformed.

Byron seems to want to set the record straight and make an attempt to replicate Howard Hill's original shot.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

What an interesting thread. I had not heard of any of this until now. Does anyone have info on when the original mythbusters episode will be aired and/or when Mr. Ferguson will be showing something as well?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

They've shown the original show several times. Plus they've done a re-visit on another show because they got so many e-mails about their ineptitude with trying to split the arrow. Just gotta watch the reruns and it'll turn up again... eventually.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw the Mythbusters show as well, and I it just seems like they went about it in the wrong way. Kind of like doing it backwards I thought. I thought they had re-visited the myth with a bamboo arrow and actually got the end-to-end split. I could definitely be wrong here. I know they never got it done with carbon nor aluminum. SHould be very interesting to see what Byron can do. I watched him this past weekend at the IL Deer and Turkey Expo and it was very entertaining. I don't doubt that he has the ability to do it.

I like Mythbusters BTW...science or not, it's still fun to watch.

Quick Reply: MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.