Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety >

Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

Old 02-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

How do you help to control your anxiety and calm yourself, with the deer coming into range? What's your way of staying focused during the moment of the shot?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:05 AM

Default RE: Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

I was told by the forum guys to use 3D targets for practice rather than circles. Gets you used to seeing the deer back there I guess. So far it's help some, but I think that if you don't have the anxiety, then you're not huntin'.???
Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 AM

Experience. Sometimes when I see deer I am not going to shoot, I go through the motions anyway. I draw, settle and anchor, then let down.

I also shoot alot of 5 spot. 5 spot is so mental it really helps to keep you sharp.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

The funny thing with me is, it's never the same from one sighting to another. Sometimes i shake like a dog poopin' bones at a button buck, and sometimes I am steady as a rock when a nice buck is coming by .... I dunno .....

Anyway, when the shakes come, I use the "punch myself in the groin" move [8D]
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Experience. Sometimes when I see deer I am not going to shoot, I go through the motions anyway. I draw, settle and anchor, then let down.
Mobo....I got crucified in here by a certain forum member for this practice.....but I did it my first year a few times (and I never put the actual pin on the animal). I think this is good "practice".

I've found that the more deer I'm around.....the more calm I am....BUT....I GET VERY WOUND UP when a big deer is in my presence. I hope I always do. I wish I could bottle that feeling and sell it. If I ever lose it.....I'll quit hunting.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Joey are you looking for advice!?[:-]LOL

"Hey guys, I've been just a little shaky on the last couple booner bucks I've shot, and I'm really striving to be solid and cool as ice when the next 180" walks by me......"
(jk)

I (believe it or not) have been in the prescence of some big bucks in NE and IL although I don't have any of them to show for it........
What I do mentally is EXPECT to see a big deer (or any deer) and plan for their approach, and how I will execute the shot. (cause that's working.)

I think if you are surpised by the sight of a deer it jump starts that adrenaline and things can get a little foggy from that point. If you can keep that initial jolt down then things don't start going fast and slow at the same time.

When you identify an animal you want to take, I know it sounds cold but you have to no focus on turning those vitals into a target. Start focusing on a spot, think about where you will take the shot and make it happen.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I'm usually shaking like a leaf! But that's what it's all about!

Good advice... I usually pick the spot on the deer and concentrate on that. I position myself so I'm directed towards where I think the deer will come from. Then let the Deer Gods do the rest!!! haha
Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll never get rid of the anxiety.If I'm hunting squirrels,I get the shakes when one comes into range--it's all a part of hunting.But to ease it a little bit,try focusing on the spot you want to put that arrow thru.As soon as I decide that's the deer I want to shoot,I don't take my eye of that hair I want my arrow to hit.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get more nervous on deer I'm not going to shoot and just want towatch walk by. Heavy breathing and the shakes that just wont stop. But for some reason, maybe its killer instinct I dont know, I become very calm once i decide I am going to shoot a buck.

when i shot my last buck I had 4 does at 20 yards and I thought i was going to pass out I was so nervous. Then out walked the buck I shot and I was suddenly able to control everything even though i had to watch him approach from 80 yards and wait about 10 minutes until he fed his way in for a good shot. Of course after i shot him I again lost control of everything.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't been able to find a cure for it yet, and I really don't think I want to. This year, I saw thebiggest bucks I have ever seen (0 to show for it) but on the deer that I did shoot, after I decided that I was going to take them,I kind of went into auto pilot. On both of them, I found myself at full draw, like my brain did it by itself, pretty cool actually. My knees were knockin' by I was pretty steady with my pins.

Quick Reply: Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.