Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Magnus......5-shot??? >

Magnus......5-shot???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Magnus......5-shot???

Old 12-07-2002, 06:00 AM

Default Magnus......5-shot???

I have been looking at these heads and wondering how they stack up against the other Magnus heads like the Stinger and the Snuffers....the one I am interested in is the one with the bleeder blades.
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/scre...roadheads.html

The Magnus 125 screw-in 4-blade #MA1254SO
An incredible combination of the Magnus 100 screw-in broadhead and a razor-sharp bleeder blade.
2 1/4 x 1 1/4 inches
125 grains - screw-in adapter
Old 12-07-2002, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magnus......5-shot???

I have not tested that specific model. I can however makes some pretty good asumptions based on what I know of magnus heads. First they will cut one heck of a HOLE in the animal! Penetration in soft tissue won't be to much of an issuse, and the bleeders will stop penitration in my test materials, and in heavy bone. The good news is that the bleeders will probably break off and and still penetrate well. They may have a slight "hiss" while in flight, but not enough to worry about. It will take a good helical fletch to get them to shoot. Tune your bow well, and use a minimum of 3 helical vanes or feathers and you should get great accuracy. Magnus also offers a lifetime guarantee on all their heads, and their customer service is outstanding if you should need it. I would guess that they would "score" around 24 or 25 on my tests, which is very good.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 12-10-2002, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

corey, I would have to agree with 5-shot that adding the bleeders will decrease penetration. I have been a total believer in the two bladed heads by magnus and many others. This years bow season is over for me since I have filled all my tags, however I took two deer using the Stos 145 grain two heades blade (extremely similar to magnus). Both deer were pretty much exactly the same shot. 26 yards quartering away, both of the shots hit the deer exactly the same, entering midpoint on the deer and exiting just before the shoulder blade. The arrows went though like butter. Both deer went 30 yards before expiring.

Two things to remember though that I have noticed if you are using the two bladed broadheads. 1. The deer won't start bleeding as quickly. On both of my deer, even though they were double lunged had no blood trail leading up to them (except for the last five yards). 2. Finding hair at the point of impact is extremely hard. This I believe is mainly because the broadhead actually cuts the hair when it is entering. If you have used other blades such as 4 bladed muzzy's, you can pretty much always see some good hair on the ground where the head enters.

Just to prove this to myself, on my third deer that I shot this year, I used a four bladed 145 grain Muzzy. I found the complete opposite of what the two bladed head did. This deer was 15 yards broadside when I double lunged it. There was hair everywhere at the point of impact. This deer went 60 yards before expiring, but had a great blood trail leading to it.

So you have to decide what you like, personnally next year, I am going back to the 140 grain magnus I with bleeders.

If you want to see what the 2 bladed head with bleeders can do look under the testomonial and look at the moose shoulder blade.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com
Old 12-10-2002, 04:43 PM

Impressive pics...on the Magnus I will definitely give the 125 gr Snuffers I have a try...so far they don't fly all that well for me.(and yes my bow is TUNED).

Old 12-11-2002, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

corey, as a rule Mangnus heads like stiffer arrows and a minimum of 4" fletch with a good helical. Offset doesn't seem to cut it with these larger heads. The magnus stingers are the exception to the rule for magnus heads though. I had my best luck with snuffers on stiffer heavier arrows with 5" vanes and feathers fletched right helical. That may help you some. Remeber also to spin test each broadead. Magnus tries to get them all straight from the factory, but once and a while one comes out with the adaptor and head not lined up. you can fix that by heating the head a little until it's loose, then push and spin it back on until it spins true.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 12-11-2002, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Corey, I agree with everything that 5-shot is suggesting.

On my setup with magnus, I use four 5" vanes with a helical. I shoot at 70 pounds with a 33" inch draw and my arrows are 33". I have used 2613 XX78 in the past with great result. I am currently trying out the XX75 2419's to see how they work. I also make sure that I have an FOC at 12-15%.

Another thing that I always suggest doing with Magnus is buying the traditional type heads (the ones that are ready for a cedar arrow), and instaling the 43 grain adapters with them myself. I have found that the adapter that is pre-installed by Magnus is usually a smaller version of the 43 grain adapter. The difference is that the adapter travels inside the head quite a lot more. This in turn will give you a better alignment. I also had some problems with the pre-installed adapter coming off when pulling them out of a 3d target. I alway epoxy the inserts on the head and spin check the heads while the epoxy is not dried so I can make adjustments if needed. Usually though, with the longer inserts, an adjustment is rarely needed. Hope that helps you.

Edited by - BobCo19-65 on 12/11/2002 07:55:38