Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking about a new release >

Thinking about a new release

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about a new release

Old 02-16-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Thinking about a new release

I have always used a standard caliper release and mostly a basic Tru Ball Stinger. No problems but there are things about other releases that I think could be cool.

I was thinking about maybe a release designed for a loop and with a straight trigger instead of the curved one on my Stinger.I shot a Scott one time that had an absolute hair trigger and that was neat.

I also think I would like a thumb trigger release.......I like the feel of locking my knuckle up under my jaw for another consistent anchor. I feel like sometimes I get lazy with release now in the way I anchor it and it's not always consistent.

Any ups or downs about these designs I should know about??

Thanks..........any recommendations/experience would be great.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Default RE: Thinking about a new release

I borrowed a Scott No Punch from our shop....It's totally amazing! You couldn't punch the trigger if you tried! Punch it, it won't go off. You've got to be smooth with this thing, IF you set it up right. Like you said, it's got an amazingly soft trigger on it.

I also like the idea of the thumb trigger. In fact, I'm kind of in the same quandry as you....I am looking into both of these styles as well. I am kind of leaning toward the thumb trigger because you can fire it using pure back tension.....I haven't messed w/ them much though...
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 PM

I just switched from a Scott mongoose to a TRU Fire 3D Hunter thumb release. Tonight was my first time shooting it, but I love the way it fits just behind my jaw bone. With my wrist release I never really had a good anchor, but with the thumb style i feel solid everytime. It may be worth looking into.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I just switched from a Scott mongoose to a TRU Fire 3D Hunter thumb release. Tonight was my first time shooting it, but I love the way it fits just behind my jaw bone. With my wrist release I never really had a good anchor, but with the thumb style i feel solid everytime. It may be worth looking into.
Cool........are the calipers small because they look it. I am looking for a small set of jaws to fit in a smaller loop.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be carefull with hair triggers.They are not good for shooting a bow.

There is no way to settle into the release and then fire the release properly.You must touch the release when you want it to fire and can't touch it untill then,this causes target panic,along with being much more inconsistant than laying on the trigger and pulling through the shot in a controlled manor,like with back tension.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Be carefull with hair triggers.They are not good for shooting a bow.

There is no way to settle into the release and then fire the release properly.You must touch the release when you want it to fire and can't touch it untill then,this causes target panic,along with being much more inconsistant than laying on the trigger and pulling through the shot in a controlled manor,like with back tension.
I haveheard this before and I understand the concept but my experience(although limited) wasthat the hair trigger seemed to go offwith much less effort and was more of a "surprise"........where mytru ball requires an actualeffort to fire and there is no"surprise". I saw this as a positive since I don't shoot back tension nor do I pretend to. I do not "punch" the trigger but just pull with steady pressure.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hair triggers aren't bad if you get a good release. I have my Scott set to a hair trigger and there's nothing better than a surprise release from my experience. With my Scott I can touch the trigger before my shot, I just make sure it's downward pressure and not inward pressure. It's the setup I use for spot and 3d shooting. When it's time to go back into the woods I go back to a simpler setup like your Stinger. It gets a little cold up here and I don't like a hair trigger setup with warm gloves.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow..that's messed up Atlas. I too use the basic tru ball stinger caliber release. [8D]

Did you pick your new sight yet?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Atlas, why would you want a "surprise" when you are shooting your bow? I like knowing exactly when the arrow is going to be released. Am I missing something?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Wow..that's messed up Atlas. I too use the basic tru ball stinger caliber release. [8D]

Stalking is a crime Duke

Did you pick your new sight yet?
Nope........went to Gander yesterday to check and see if I thought the pins on the G5 were dim like some had said and they were sold out [:@] They are both nice sights and I haven't made up my mind yet. How about you??

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.